Chapter 35

Malcolm stood at the stove, transferring crispy slices of bacon from the pan over to a paper-towel covered plate.

Next to him, swaying slightly to the beat of the music playing from the speakers, Sophie buttered slices of toast fresh out of the toaster.

It's Saturday morning. I'm standing in Sophie's kitchen, we're cooking breakfast, and her taste still lingers on my tongue.

When the pan was empty, Malcolm picked up the whisked bowl of eggs, dumping them in and beginning to scramble.

Sophie placed her stack on the breakfast bar before turning to come up behind him, wrapping her arms around his waist and pressing her front against his back.

Warmth radiated through him, and an unconscious smile formed on his lips.

The moment felt effortless, easy - being here, with her, was like breathing.

And a month ago, I thought it was impossible.

Behind him, Sophie's nose poked into his back, and her chest expanded as she breathed in.

Amusement filled him, "Are... are you sniffing me?"

"I like the way you smell," she mumbled.

His spatula faltered as her soft admission cut him to the core.

I have to leave her...

The ordeal of the regional Meeting loomed over him like a giant to be slain. A month ago, the prospect of the yearly gathering had seemed tedious, if necessary. Now, faced with a week apart from the woman he loved, Malcolm was ready to throw away his pack's reputation to skip it-

Loved?

A heartbeat passed, and wonder filled him.

I love her?

In an instant, the answer came, obvious.

I love her.

Setting the pan aside on a cold burner, Malcolm turned in her arms, tilting her chin up and taking her mouth in a slow, searing kiss.

Sophie tensed with surprise before melting against him, pressing herself closer.

Malcolm reached down, cupping her ass before picking her up and setting her on the counter.

Pulling her close, he pressed her against the straining front of his jeans, fighting the overwhelming need to be inside her, now.

I could take her back to the bedroom, rip my clothes off and spend the rest of the weekend making her come in every position we can think of.

Lust fought with duty, and he met Sophie's gaze to find her curious, but unafraid.

She wants this, too.

And that felt like the most miraculous thing of all.

Patience.

One week - it's only one week, and then he could pursue her to his heart's content.

Raising his hand, Malcolm brushed a piece of hair away from her face, struggling to get himself under control.

Swallowing, he said, "I need to finish the eggs."

A quizzical smile appeared on her lips. "Okay?"

For a moment, he debated telling her what he'd just realized, but held back.

It can wait.

His thumb strayed to the plush curve of her lower lip, "Just for the record, I'm really going to miss you."

I'm the Alpha's CrushOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara