Chapter 23

Sitting in the passenger seat of Malcolm's truck, I stared at the window, watching the succession of familiar streets with exhausted gratitude.

The plane ride back to Pennsylvania had been smoother than the flight out, but I still hadn't managed to get any sleep. Couple that with the frustrating mess that was Philadelphia traffic, and I craved the warm embrace of my bed.

"Turn left here." I muttered as we neared my house.

Malcolm nodded silently, slowing down to wait for the lone, oncoming car to pass.

Looking over at me, he said, "There's something I've been meaning to ask you..."

"Shoot."

"What are you doing Wednesday after work?"

Glancing over, I cocked an eyebrow, "Nothing?"

"So, would you have any objections to going on a date?"

"Where?"

He grinned, "It's a surprise."

"A surprise?"

"I'm pretty sure you'll like it." The way cleared, and he pressed on the gas as he turned the steering wheel.

"I'm going to need some details."

"Like what?"

"Like..." I hesitated, thinking. "Like, 'dress code'. Can I dress casually, or does it need to be more formal than that?"

His lips quirked as he seemed to consider his words, "Wear comfortable shoes and clothes you can move in."

"See, that worries me."

"How?"

"Because of the wide variety of activities that could cover. We could be going hiking or hiding a body."

The truck slowed as Malcolm pressed on the brakes, turning toward me with the most confused look on his face.

I shrugged, "Just saying."

Malcolm ran a hand over the light stubble covering his jaw, "Okay then. I can absolutely promise that we will not be hiding a body."

Grinning, I replied, "Realistically, you can't absolutely promise that."

"Wh-"

"On any given day there's always a slight chance, no matter how microscopic, that you're going to wind up hiding a body."

Malcolm's jaw dropped, and he turned toward the windshield, silent as his befuddlement morphed into amusement.

"Sophie, I mean this in the best possible way, but you are so much weirder than I thought you were."

Grinning, I sat back against my seat as my house came into view, "Thanks."

Coming to a stop in front of my porch, Malcolm parked, stepping out to retrieve my suitcase from the bed of his truck.

As I stood on the sidewalk, briefcase in one hand, suitcase in the other, I looked up at him, "Well, I guess I'll see you Wednesday?"

His answering smile was brighter than the afternoon sun, "See you Wednesday!"

Dazed, I walked up my porch, a helpless grin on my lips as I heard the truck shift into gear and drive away.

Unlocking the door, I absently stepped inside-

-and immediately pivoted to face the wall.

River and Tom lay on the couch, limbs entangled, not a scrap of clothing in sight-