Chapter 12

Picking up my napkin, I dabbed at my mouth, trying not to lose any more of my lipstick than I already had.

In front of me, my plate lay half empty, and it was taking all of the willpower in my body to not finish the other half.

Malcolm eyed me from across the table. "Let me guess: Another one of River's rules?"

Smiling wryly, I picked up my mango lassi for a sip. "Number fifteen – always have leftovers."

His lips quirked in amusement. "What's the rationale for that one?"

Swallowing, I answered, "It gives you an excuse to end the date in a way that isn't going to hurt their feelings. You know, 'I had a lovely night, but I really need to get this home!'"

Malcolm shook his head, "River should really write a book."

"I keep telling them that." Tipping my glass back for another sip, I savored the creamy tartness for a moment before asking, "So, where were we?"

"'What's the most interesting class you ever took?' You said History of Medicine and cited some horrifying examples to justify it."

"Oh, it's not that horrifying," I dismissed.

"You used the phrase, 'reusable laxative'. Horrifying."

Fighting to suppress a giggle, I asked, "Okay; your turn. What was your most interesting class?"

"Um..." he tilted his head back, staring at the ceiling and giving me an excellent view of his throat.

I was lost, imagining what it would feel like to nuzzle him there when I realized he was speaking.

"...I needed three more science credits, so I signed up for a Geology class because it sounded easy. It ended up being really fascinating."

Geology? I wouldn't have guessed.

Curious, I asked, "Was there anything specific that made it your favorite?"

Malcolm glanced aside, tongue darting out to wet his lips as he thought.

"Probably the Geological Time Scale?" He looked back at me, "Just- just looking at the billions of years of Earth's existence, seeing everything that happened before us, realizing how relatively insignificant we are. It's weirdly comforting, in a way?"

Smiling softly, I nodded, "I get that. It's like looking up at the stars because you want to feel small?"

He grinned, "Exactly."

Something in his eyes sparked an answering warmth in me, but before I could put my finger on what it was, our server, Rahul, came up and gestured to my plate. "Will you be needing a box for this?"

Flustered, I nodded, "Yes, please."

He looked over to Malcolm, who shook his head, "I'm still working on mine, thanks."

As Rahul walked away, Malcolm eyed me curiously, seeming to consider his next move. Spearing a hunk of his lamb madras on his fork, he asked, "Okay, how about this one: What's something that I don't know about you that would surprise me?"

Chuckling, I shook my head, "I keep telling you - I'm an open book."

Mostly...

"There's got to be something."

"Um..." I felt my brows crease as I tried to think of something surprising, but innocuous.

I don't want to send him running for the hills.

"Well, I used to dance?"

"Hmm." He sat back, interested, "Define 'dance'?"

Taking a breath, I elaborated, "'Dance' as in I started off at five taking ballet classes, eventually added in jazz and contemporary-"

Malcolm grinned, "What, no tap dancing?"

Rolling my eyes, I answered, "Tried it – wasn't my thing. I really liked the others, though. I was actually pretty good by the end, but..." I shrugged, "it wasn't the kind of 'good' that was going to become a career, you know?"

The teasing tone of his voice softened, and he asked, "Do you miss it?"

"Sometimes?" I admitted. "Usually, a night at Tooley's scratches that itch."

He cocked an eyebrow. "Tooley's?"

I couldn't blame him. The raucous, beer-drenched dance hall wasn't exactly the bright, pristine studio of my youth.

"I mean, it's not ballet, but it's still dancing."

"I don't know – have you seen some of the couples that show up there?"

"Hey," I laughed, "at least they're having fun."

Before he could reply, Rahul returned and began boxing up my leftovers.

Looking across the table, though, I could see the spark of something in Malcolm's eye – but I was distracted before I could think to ask what he was thinking.

Outside, on the sidewalk, we stood next to my car saying our goodbyes.

"Well," I held up my leftovers, smirking, "'I had a lovely night-"

"'-but you really need to get this home.'" Malcolm finished with a smile.

I shrugged, "Hey - I gotta follow the rules. Anyway-" I walked over to my car, leaning in to place my things on the passenger seat, "-thank you again for dinner. Let me know if you want to do it again sometime – or if my medical story completely killed your crush-"

"You'll be hearing from me."

His direct admission sent a flush across my skin, and for a moment, I couldn't think of what to say.

I could almost see a subtle smirk on his lips. "Goodnight, Sophie. Message me when you get home safe?"

Nodding quickly, I managed to say, "Will do."

Slipping into the car, I fastened my seatbelt, starting the engine and shifting into reverse. Giving a little wave, I backed out, driving off with his voice echoing in my ears and his scent still fresh in my lungs.