Chapter 39

After the dinner ended, I stood with Malcolm, nodding politely and occasionally contributing as he made small talk with people I didn't recognize.

Lycanthropes in khakis and t-shirts greeted Malcolm, apparently recognizing him from previous Meetings, making courteous inquiries about the happenings in our pack.

As they spoke, I felt their eyes dart to me, curious, clearly wondering who I was to Malcolm.

And who am I to Malcolm?

I stiffened, clutching my red plastic cup as I realized I didn't know the answer. We were dating, but calling me his "girlfriend" didn't feel right.

The clearing we were in, open and grassy, was filled with milling werewolves. Scurrying volunteers rushed about, clearing away the remnants of the meal.

Beneath my feet, the squishy ground sank slightly, a memento of the rain earlier that day. Its perfume hung in the air, amplifying the smells of the woods that surrounded us.

Uncertainty filled me, a self-consciousness that only increased as I wondered what my packmates thought of me, especially given what they'd seen earlier...

Malcolm and I, coming down the stairs from our shared room.

Of all the ways I'd imagined us going public, this scenario was not on that list.

Next to me, Malcolm reached over, taking my hand in his and squeezing.

Looking over, I met his eyes, noting the warmth in his gaze.

"You okay?"

I took a breath, squeezing back as I nodded, "Yeah."

Just then, Will came up, slugging back the last of his drink and nodding a "hello" to our acquaintances.

"So," he began, "apparently, they're going to be announcing a run here in the next hour - are we sticking around for that?"

I glanced up at Malcolm, awaiting his response.

"Um," Malcolm turned to me before answering, "yes?"

"Sure," I agreed.

"Why not?" Malcolm shrugged, "It'll be good for diplomacy."

Glancing between them, I raised the obvious question, "What if we have people who don't want to?"

Malcolm sighed, thinking, "Okay... we'll supervise anyone who wants to stay for the run," addressing Will, he asked, "would you be willing to take care of the people who'd rather go back to the inn?"

Will snorted, "Gladly."

It felt like there was something behind his answer, but I didn't have time to figure it out before Malcolm announced, "Alright, let's get our packmates together - tell everybody you can find that we'll be meeting by the parking lot in five minutes."

Without another word, they excused themselves from the conversation, walking off to spread the news.

Ready to follow suit, I murmured a goodbye to the women we'd been speaking with, the second-in-command of a Vermont pack and her sister, "Well-"

The second-in-command, Beth, placed a hand on my arm, halting me, "So, I hope it's not rude for me to ask..."

"Hmm?"

She narrowed her eyes, "Are you with Malcolm?"

My face flushed hot, heart sinking as I feared where this was going, but I heard myself reply, "Yes."

A smile broke out over her face, "Oh my god, that's wonderful!"

Confused, I frowned, "What?"

Beth explained, "Malcolm's been single for as long as I've known him, and I'm so glad he finally found someone."