Chapter 53

Malcolm stood in the kitchen, smiling as he listened to the shower running upstairs.

-with Sophie inside.

Images of last night flashed over his vision, brief glimpses of bare skin, parted lips, and burning eyes.

Sophie, naked, in his bed, her soft gasps and moans filling the room as he showed her the truth she wasn't ready to hear.

I love her.

The knowledge washed over him, warm and all consuming.

Before him, the batter on the frying pan bubbled slightly, and he took the handle, flipping the pancake and letting the other side cook for a minute before sliding it onto the stack on Sophie's plate.

Above, the shower stopped, and Malcolm poured scrambled raw eggs into the still hot pan, beginning to stir and mix the mess as it cooked.

He was just about to plate the eggs when a voice called from the loft, "Did you make breakfast?"

Malcolm glanced toward the sound, sighting Sophie wearing a pleased grin and a radiant smile.

I love her.

"Maybe. You'd better get down here if you want any."

"Oh?"

"I'm starving," he grinned, "and, after last night, my self-control is at an all-time low."

Sophie smirked, "Well, just let me get my stuff together and I'll be right down."

"Hurry," he teased.

They ate together, talking about their plans for the day. Sophie had a backlog of documents to process and catalog, and Malcolm had to catch up on a week's worth of emails, phone calls and paperwork.

After cleaning up, Malcolm threw his leather jacket over his casual t-shirt and jeans, going to grab his keys.

Then, he paused.

"Sophie?"

"Hmm?" She slung her backpack over her shoulder and looked his way.

"What would you say to taking the Honda today?"

She blinked, seemingly not catching his meaning, "Your motorcycle?"

"Yeah - I've got an extra helmet, you can wear my jacket if you want some extra protection?"

A shy grin blossomed on her face, "You'd let me wear your jacket?"

I love her.

Malcolm tipped her chin up with his fingers, pressing a kiss to her lips, "Of course."

Smiling against him, Sophie sighed, "Okay."

So, Malcolm found himself riding down the hills that hid his home, arms bare below the sleeves of his grey t-shirt, Sophie's body pressed close as she clutched his waist.

The verdant trees raced past, emerald leaves in the canopy filtering out the morning sky. The cool air of the shaded forest floor surrounded them, rushing along his skin.

Slowing to take a sharp turn, Malcolm felt Sophie grip him tighter, and a fierce, protective warmth filled his chest.

The road smoothed out after they hit the highway, and before he was ready for it to end, Malcolm saw the now familiar turn toward Sophie's place.

Making a right, Malcolm brought them to her home, silencing the engine and lowering the kickstand.

He pulled off his helmet, turning on the seat to help Sophie with hers.