Chapter 9: Finding Common Interests

You practically gagged as soon as you stepped in the room, the stench of marijuana was so prevalent it might as well have been a damn person

You practically gagged as soon as you stepped in the room, the stench of marijuana was so prevalent it might as well have been a damn person. The place you'd been shown to was on the bottom floor, and you'd been admitted in by a bodyguard who'd been paid not to tell anyone about the weed. To say that you were panicking was an understatement.

The fact that Jimmy Urine was right behind you didn't help.

"Hey, welcome!" the leader of the band Madina Lake, Nathan Leone greeted you with the countenance of someone who was pretty buzzed. "Here's the rising star," he gave you a welcoming slap on the back — something you still weren't used to, "you look like you've been through a pile of shit, lighten up!"

"Hi," you wheezed in response, attempting not to show how uncomfortable you were, clutching at your CD player like it was your life support.

"Nice party you've got going on here," Steve remarked, going over to the couch, which was complete with a plethora of women, who were giggling over a large bottle of alcohol.

"Yeah, a lot of people from the sound crew wanted to come here," Nathan sent a wink to a group of girls in the corner, who all squealed and shooed him away.

"Give me one of those things," Lindsey demanded, grabbing a can of beer off the nearby table, cracking it open, and then downing half the thing in a single swig.

You hovered sheepishly, hands still on your headphones like they were a shield. You'd forgotten which disc you'd put inside the player, but anything was better than listening to drunken, high murmurs at this point. Peering around, you looked half desperately for anyone you knew, but found no one in the space that you recognised.

"Are those MCR kids here?" Kitty questioned, sending Lindsey a wink.

"Uh, I think they're in the kitchen," Nathan responded, taking a sip of his drink.

"Let's go then!" Kitty grabbed Lindsey by the arm, and dragged her towards the stated location, whilst the bassist protested, "C'mon, newbie!" she called out to you, "You come too!"

You winced, before shuffling after them.

Once you stepped inside the smaller room, you were instantly relieved to find Ray, Mikey and Frank — they were sitting on the floor, seemingly playing a game. Taking notice of you, Frank beamed, and gestured for you to come over, to which you eagerly did, leaving Lindsey and Kitty to speculate where Gerard had gone.

(You did not care about Bob.)

"Hi," you crouched down, to position yourself next to the rhythm guitarist, "what are you guys up to?" you asked, hoping you didn't sound too awkward.

"We were playing D&D upstairs, but we got invited down here, so we brought it with us," Ray replied, while he was eating a cupcake. "How about you?"

"We dragged 'em down here," Kitty answered for you, with a smug grin.

Mikey glanced over the top of his glasses to glance at you; you two exchanged a brief understanding look, before he returned to examining his paper. Ray sipped at his beverage, and Frank shuffled closer to you, to show you his character sheet, pointing proudly at all of the cool weapons he'd prescribed for himself.