Chapter 18: Holding Up

It occurred to you, as you sat at the breakfast table, that Adele hadn't broken through yet

It occurred to you, as you sat at the breakfast table, that Adele hadn't broken through yet. Her first single would be released in 2008, which was a pity, because you could really use something emotionally wrenching to listen to right now. Sure, The Smiths were great at making you feel wretched, but they were more for your quiet suffering. Adele was like a trainwreck of grief, and you could use that right now.

You would usually put on an MCR track, but listening to Gerard's voice would hurt you too much. Not right now, not after last night.

There was a huge lump in your throat, as you sat motionless, staring at the food in front of you. Harvey winced as he noted your mood; "You really didn't have a good time yesterday, did you?"

You could only let out a humourless laugh in response to that.

"You look depressed as hell," Chris observed, as she swirled her drink. "Was it 'cuz Gerard and Lindsey were all over each other?"

The mention of their names made you jolt, and you shook your head intensely, "I — no," you defended. "It wasn't. They're two people with free will, what they do is none of my business."

Chris exchanged a glance with Harvey, and took another steady slurp of her liquid. "Then... do we tell them?" she asked your manager, with a raised eyebrow.

Harvey's entire face crinkled with discomfort, "I don't know how they'll react."

You were clueless. "What? Tell me," you urged. "I can handle it. Y'know, it's okay if they, uh, kissed or whatever... I'm not faint hearted when it comes to this stuff."

There was a pause, before Harvey, with a pained countenance, stated, "According to Brian, they... they did a bit more than kissing."

Your stomach dropped all the way down to your feet, and you felt tears of shock stinging your eyes. "Nevermind," you whispered, holding up a hand. "Maybe I am faint hearted. Please don't say anything else."

"What? Oh god, (Y/n), they didn't have sex," Harvey quickly told you, panicked by your intense expression of pain. "They just apparently hung out together all evening in MCR's van, half flirting with each other."

"Ah," you weren't sure whether that was any better, and picked at the cereal in your bowl unenthusiastically.

"You're whipped," Chris stated, in a factual manner; when you looked up to peer at her miserably, she shrugged nonchalantly. "It's pretty obvious, I don't know what to tell you. I knew you were done for the second you got back from hanging out with him on the first night of the tour."

"I can't be — whipped," you struggled to deny, "I've only known him for, what, two weeks?"

"People can date after two weeks of knowing each other," Harvey pointed out.

"I know, it just feels too... fast," you confessed. "No one's ever caught feelings for me that easily. I've definitely gone and developed crushes on people in a few days, but... the favour's never really been returned. Besides, he's a pretty open guy with his affection. Anyone could mistake his actions for flirting, even if they're platonic, and that's the last thing I wanna do."