Chapter 21: A Change In Perspective

At first, all you could hear was a slight ringing in your ears, before ever so slowly, your vision returned to you

At first, all you could hear was a slight ringing in your ears, before ever so slowly, your vision returned to you. Slowly, you sat up, rubbing the back of your head, and groaning intensely; beside you, the cup and pot had completely disappeared, you noted, as you looked around. Standing up, you observed your bedroom, and the seemingly early morning light that was pouring through your window.

You staggered through the doorway, and into the living room, where the blinds were unexpectedly fully open — and that was where you let out a shriek of surprise, for through the pane, you could see that your building was right across the street.

You weren't in your house. But you still had all of your decor, and belongings here. So what in fuck's name—?!

Wait a minute. You turned around, and ambled to the corridor, in silent confusion, where you found your calendar, and read it over carefully.

August 09, 2022.

At first, you didn't know quite how to react. You were back. You were back, after over four months of living in 2007, you'd gotten back to the future. You thought your first instinct would be to jump for joy, to break down crying in relief, but you did none of those; instead, all you could do was stare.

It didn't make sense, you should've been overwhelmingly happy.

And yet...

Just like before, when this had all begun, something felt off.

Steadily, you walked backwards, and returned to your couch, sitting on it heavily, before turning on the TV, to check the news. There were reports on the Russian invasion of Ukraine, about the British prime minister holding a party during the Covid lockdown, and having to resign — you switched it off after seeing the main headlines, and leaned back, releasing a deep breath.

You were back. Again, just like before, with the flick of a switch, everything had changed.

But then why were you in a different building? The thought plagued your mind, as you reached out, and pulled your wallet off the table, to inspect the cards within. There, you frowned in puzzlement; there was an extra letter added to your last name, as if to make a differentiation. Did that mean that—

Did that mean that the musician version of you had existed?

The notion was chilling to you. Considering you'd killed yourself in their eyes, even though to you it had just been a desperate attempt to return to the present, you felt a cold sense of dread creep into your bones. You'd just assumed that your timeline and actions would be wiped, and everything would go back to normal.

Thinking about it now, you should've known it wouldn't be that simple. Nothing ever was. Not that the whole switch made any sense, because — if that was you, and you had died, then who were you now?

God, the whole thing was making you nervous. This was not how you'd pictured you coming back here.

Now morbidly curious, you stood up, and ambled over to your office, where you found your usual computer and phone upon your desk. You opened your laptop, typed in your usual password, and headed straight for chrome, searching yourself up, with your usual name.