Chapter 13: Overworked Prodigy Child

Four days went by, and you were suddenly in Arizona, having finished the Californian leg

You were tired, but oddly happy. You'd spent the last week getting to know all of the different acts you were playing with, particularly MCR, and you were also at last getting used to the whole performance aspect of the tour. It didn't mean that you liked going on stage and singing to thousands of people, but it was better than having panic attacks every time it happened.

Instead, to distract yourself, you usually hung out with Gerard and the others — they were pretty frantic themselves, and you ended up having to comfort Gerard, and assure him that his voice would be perfectly fine to go on stage with.

Frank and Ray would also show you various guitar tricks, while Mikey just sort of sat next to you shyly, not saying much, but the fact that he was even near you felt like a blessing.

(Who cared about Bob? Honestly.)

Unfortunately, things couldn't stay exhaustingly joyful forever, because after you woke up on the second of August, on a rare rest day, you got a phone call.

It was your mother.

You felt sick, the breakfast in front of you turning sour in your mouth. Harvey, from where he sat, saw your expression, and asked, "What's wrong?"

"My mum," you replied bitterly, standing up, and walking out of the van, in order to have some privacy, "I'll be back."

"Sure," Harvey frowned, clearly worried, "remember that I'm here if you wanna talk!" he called out, before you left.

You stood outside, staring at the screen of your device, before answering with a heavy sigh. "Hi, mum," you muttered, mentally preparing yourself.

"Hey, it's my little star! How are you? I'm fine, I've been watching your tour!"

"Oh?" you tried to sound interested, a headache already making an appearance.

"Yes! You're a bit of a mess on stage, has no one told you? Tripping over cables and whatnot... try to keep your balance more, I didn't send you to posture classes for nothing."

"Haha," you forced a laugh, and then felt your soul die as Gerard turned the corner, and waved at you in a friendly manner, clearly on his way to see you. "Listen, Mum, I'm kinda busy—"

"Don't hang up on me yet! I have some wonderful news. I've seen that you're going to be in Texas tomorrow! As luck would have it, I'm seeing a couple of friends there for a garden party. So I'll come and see you after, sweetie."

"Oh, that's, uh, great, but I don't think that's a good idea," you tried not to sound panicked; Gerard noticed your nervous disposition, and tilted his head, to ask nonverbally if you were alright, to which you made a desperate, flapping hand gesture. "Listen, Mum, you wouldn't want to come to these things. There are drunk people, and drugs, and it's loud—"