Chapter 16: Shut Up And Drive

The evening ended pretty well, for a night out with your mother

The evening ended pretty well, for a night out with your mother. She left you be, assuring that she'd be on a flight to Texas soon, to join you for your next concert, which wasn't ideal, but it was better than her hanging around all the time. You'd take what you could get.

Until then, you got back to the hotel, and went straight up to Gerard's room, so overwhelmed with gratitude that you just needed to thank him right there and then. As soon as he opened the door, after you knocked, you basically threw yourself on him in a clumsy embrace, burying your face in his flannel-covered shoulder to hide your embarrassed expression.

"Woah!" he laughed in pleasant surprise, eagerly grasping your waist to pull you closer, "Hi," he murmured.

"Thank you," you mumbled, clutching at him, "thank you, thank you, thank you, you wonderful person, you — you fucking perfect human being."

"Oh," he sounded shocked, flustered even, "no... problem. Are you okay?"

"Well, if you wanted honesty—" you began, with a sly tone, only for him to pull back, holding your arms, and give you a stern look.

"Don't you fuckin' dare," Gerard warned; you just cracked a dry grin in response, which made him soften and smile as well. "How did it go overall, with your mum then?"

You shrugged, shrinking in on yourself, "It went as well as it could've."

He frowned, and moved so that he could hold your hands, smoothing his thumb over your knuckles; a gesture he sometimes did with Frank and Ray, and now, apparently, you. "Hey, don't start closing off on me now," he reprimanded, "you did great, so just focus on that."

You felt your brow raise in a deadpan manner, but the sincerity of his hazel eyes won you over almost instantly, crushing whatever self-deprecating statement you were going to retort with. He was so kind, welcoming, perfect — no wonder he had so many adoring fans, no wonder Lindsey was smitten by him.

No wonder you were—

No. Nope. Shut up.

"I'd better, uh," you glanced down, where his hands were still clasped over yours, "get going."

Before you could remove yourself, reluctantly, from his touch, he spoke again, "Do you wanna stay for a bit?"

You froze, and felt your stomach churn.

"I... would like to," you answered quietly, feeling your heartbeat quicken when you looked at his face, "but... I'm really tired. I'm really, really tired, Gerard. I'm sorry."

"Oh," he clearly tried to mask his disappointment, letting you go, "that's okay — I understand." He smiled, discontented but considerate.

"But," you began carefully, "I was gonna ask if you wanted to go around town with me in Texas, erm, after tomorrow's concert. Y'know, just as a..." you flapped your hand uselessly, "using it as time to relax after the whole thing."