Chapter 32: Face It With A Smile

The end of the tour was approaching; on September the third, it would be over, and you'd be left to your own devices

The end of the tour was approaching; on September the third, it would be over, and you'd be left to your own devices. Currently, it was the first day of the new month, so you had around two days before it was all done.

You were 50% glad, and 50% mortified. On the one hand, you would get to go home, and have a fucking rest for a bit, but on the other, you wouldn't get to see your friends — in particular, Gerard. You had no idea what to do, how would it work after all of this? What would you do? Long distance, or would you have to break up?

You'd only been together officially for about a week. You couldn't bear the idea of having to just suddenly throw everything you'd had out of the window, but honestly, you weren't sure what else you could do.

Move to New Jersey, and live with him? That was a bad idea, he'd already mentioned that he lived with his mother and Mikey, and you didn't want to intrude on that at all. Besides, you didn't really want to move, for despite its many, many faults, Watertown was quiet, and you had never been recognised in the gated community. It was safe, and that was what mattered to you.

As you pondered over all of this, you sat under your duvet, in your hotel room, wrapping yourself up in the covers for protection, headphones on to block out the sound. The melancholic twangs of track 4 on His 'n' Hers were definitely making you think over what to do; you couldn't just leave without having done anything.

He mattered to you. You wanted him to know that. You hadn't been the best at expressing it, so you were feeling guilty, to be honest.

But how the fuck were you even gonna approach the subject?

Your hand drifted to your neck, where you self consciously touched the hickies he'd left yesterday — you'd have to wear some kind of scarf to cover it up tonight. At the mere thought of what had happened, your body temperature skyrocketed, and you had to force the moment out of your mind.

You pulled out your phone, and stared at Gerard's contact; he'd already sent you a good morning text, and you felt bad for not having responded yet. Shit, you hadn't really seen anyone today, you'd left your room once to go and meet Harvey to tell him what you wanted for lunch, but that was all. You'd spent the entire time alone, dwelling on your experiences, and how you were going to move forward following the last few months.

"And do it quickly, while you've still got the chance," the song reprimanded you.

It wasn't wrong.

"Thanks, Pulp," you muttered to yourself, and you could see Jarvis Cocker nodding in approval in your head.

You:
Hey uh I
need to talk
to you about
something
important

Gee:
Ok sure
Do you want
to talk after
tonight's concert?

You:
That would be
good
Thank you