Ch. 22: The Return

"Being reunited with a loved one is like a wave crashing into an island, it's destructive, mesmerizing and a new start

"Being reunited with a loved one is like a wave crashing into an island, it's destructive, mesmerizing and a new start."

Alaesys could not contain her excitement when she spotted the ship over the horizon. Cesyja roared underneath her, no doubt sensing that her own brothers and mother were drawing closer. She shared Alaesys excitement and wanted to fly off immediately.

Daemon stood by her on foot. He had tried to warn his daughter that she may not be fully healed enough to ride. But his hardheaded spawn insisted she wanted to meet Lucerys for his first trip on dragon back.

"Easy, īlon jāhor ūndegon zirȳ aderī."

They would see them soon.

As soon as she spotted Syrax's golden wings, Alaesys gave the command and the two were in the sky. Alaesys yelled in relief. She could finally feel the wind on her fingertips. Cesyja seemed just as eager to be free again. The dragon pit was much too small for her, her wings were cramped in such a tiny space.

Cesyja's scales glistened in the sun. She was no longer the pale, shriveled young dragon that she one was. As Alaesys had grown, so had her dragon. Her eyes were still blood red and at times Alaesys could tell a bright sun made it harder for Cesyja to fly for long periods of time. Alaesys stroked the scales on Cesyja's spine and hushed her sounds.

Vermax dipped low into the sky and Cesyja followed. Jacerys face lit up when he spotted his sister. The two dragon entertained each other, licking claws for a split moment before releasing right at the last second. Cesyja batted her huge wings that nearly overshadowed Vermax entirely.

Then from the sky came Arrax, screeching and yipping like a young pup. Cesyja shot up from close to the water and bumped into the young dragon. Lucerys yelled and tried to regain control of his dragon.

Jacerys and Alaesys both laughed at their younger brother and managed to situate themselves beside each other. Syrax flew above both younger dragons, dipping low and hanging back until she could bump her nose Against Cesyja's snout. Alaesys was told that dragons do not have relationships with their young like humans did.

But she had seen how Syrax treated and responded to the dragons who were once her eggs. It was just like a human mother would nurture and treat their own children. Cesyja cooed low in her throat and bumped her mother back. Syrax dipped low to the boat again and Lucerys was able to bring his dragon up beside of his siblings.

Daemon watched his children dance around the sky like some sort of rehearsal. The ship was slowly coming in behind them. Daemon was aching to see his wife and all of their children. His youngest would probably already look massively different than the last time he saw him. Babies did not keep the same fresh innocence very long.