Chapter 51: We Will Never Stray

"A mother's love is something that no one can explain — It is made of deep devotion and of sacrifice and pain

"A mother's love is something that no one can explain — It is made of deep devotion and of sacrifice and pain. It is endless and unselfish and enduring, come what may, For nothing can destroy it or take that love away. It is patient and forgiving when all others are forsaking, And it never fails or falters even though the heart is breaking."

Her labor started in the middle of the night with little to no warning. She had felt perfect that entire evening. She had tea with Helaena and played with the babes. Her and Aemond sat in the garden while he strategically placed Gillyflowers in her hair. Everything had been perfect and sound.

Alaesys awoke with a gruesome pain in her belly. She wheezed out a gasp and grabbed Aemond's arm, giving him a violent shake. "Aemond, the baby...." She had never seen the man move so fast. He darted from the bed and ran out into the hall, ordering the guards to fetch the maester. He returned to their bed and placed a hand on her belly. "It's too soon."

Aemond cupped her face, wiping her tears with his shaking thumbs. "You're okay. I'm right here." Alaesys shivered and pushes him off, standing with weak legs while she paced the bedroom. She did not want to be touched or comforted.

She wanted her labor to stop so she could have a few more weeks with her precious babes. Aemond followed closely behind her with watchful eyes. He tried to cradle her back when she doubled over in pain but lifted her arm and shifted away.

"Please do not touch me, it hurts. I want my mother." Alaesys huffed between her teeth in agony. It would take her mother at least a day to get here, possibly two if the weather was rough. She had her loving husband, but the presence of her mother would put her mind at ease.

"It will take her hours to get here. You need-"

"I will not ask you again." Alaesys growled, grabbing at the bed frame while she doubled over. "I need my mother. Send a raven. I will not give birth until she is here."

~

Many, many long hours later, and Alaesys was shaking, vomiting, seething in pain. It was not common to have the husband in the birthing room but Aemond refused to leave his wife's side. He sat on the bed, holding his wife against him while she balanced on her knees. She screamed into his shoulder after another contraction ripples through her lower body.

Aemond's lap was covered in blood and sweat but still he remained. The handmaidens rubbed the Princess's back, trying to ease her pain and the pressure. The Maester and Alicent stood in the corner of the room. Alicent had schemed the skin around her nails to the point where they bled. She tapped her foot in anxiousness and physically recoiled each time Alaesys cried out.

Finally, she had enough. She kneeled next to her son and his wife. She placed her hand on Alaesys shoulders and rubbed softly. "I know I am not your mother, but I am still A Mother." Alaesys lifted her head from Aemond's shoulder. She was covered in sweat, her silver hair sticking to her cheeks. Her lips were swollen from crying and her violet eyes seemed even brighter now.