Chapter 48: Strapped Down

"There are few things more dishonorable than misleading the young

"There are few things more dishonorable than misleading the young."

Sleep had evaded Alaesys for the better part of two days now. She found herself fearful of the wild dreams and nightmares her mind would come up with. Her nightmare had felt so real, she felt every cut and every stab from the blade. She had physically felt her children be ripped from her stomach.

She laid in bed, absentmindedly rubbing her belly. The child or children growing inside of her had been far more active. They pressed against her rib cage and seemed to be moving all hours of the day.

Aemond stirred in his own rest. He wrapped an arm around Alaesys and she stiffened from his touch. He could not do as much as touch her without her flinching or cowering away from his hand. He pushed up the nightgown she wore and hushed her worried noises. "Allow me to just hold you all, Ñuha vēzos." My sun. Alaesys was every bit his sun and stars.

"I cannot sleep." Alaesys admitted. Aemond propped himself on an elbow and stared down at her over her shoulder.

"No one can hurt you. I am right here." Aemond kissed her shoulder. Alaesys gave the smallest smile and sat up in bed. Aemond followed her, sitting behind her with his strong arms around her middle. She watched him run his hands across her tummy, careful not to apply too much pressure. "Would you like to go for a walk?"

"You should get some more rest. We leave tomorrow eve." Alaesys rubbed his hands and Aemond rested his chin on her shoulder.

"I could tell you the same." Aemond tucked his face into Alaesys neck as she stared out the window. The stars twinkled in the sky and her mind began to wander. She barely noticed the weight on her back grow heavier as Aemond drifted off into sleep. She turned her head to look at him, in awe over his sharp features and his pure, soft lips.

Alaesys remained upright the rest of the night, carrying not only her children, but her husband.

~

Rhaenerya assisted Alaesys in getting dressed. She was careful to not secure the dress too tight around her middle. Alaesys felt as if she had grown twice the size she was when she arrived. Rhaenerya adjusted the band around her extended belly so she had more than enough room to maneuver around. Rhaenerya moved to Alaesys front, instantly noticing the dark circles under her violet eyes.

Rhaenerya cupped her face and turned her daughters head side to side. "You should stay, Dove. You are safer here." Alaesys scoffed.

"It does not matter where I go. My children and I are in danger even if I crossed the Narrow Sea or disappeared from the edge of the Wall." Alaesys clenched her jaw. Tears now blurred her vision and she tried to hastily blink them away. Rhanerya grabbed her hand, leading it up to her mouth to kiss along her slender fingers.

"I can send you away. Somewhere where you will be safe." Alaesys looked to her mother and for a second thought she was telling her a joke. But there was nothing but seriousness behind her gentle eyes. "Aemond cannot know but-"