Chapter 56: The Ivory Wrath

"Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured

"Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured."

Alaesys wanted this battle to be done for and for Aemond to be back in her arms again. She gushed Aemma's fussy cries, becoming overwhelmed by the excitement around her. The crowd was louder than ever when the two men began to charge towards each other. Alaesys felt her heart stopped when Alester and Aemond swiped past each other, stirring up dust and emotions.

Alaesys released a sigh and buried her face into Aemma's thin wisps of silver hair. She could feel her heartbeat in her throat. She was not religious by any means, but she couldn't help but whisper a prayer in Aemma's hair. Ally could hear the thundering pound of hooves again without even lifting her head.

Aemond was no fool. He had trained for this moment for weeks and he would not be bested by such a well. He dug his heals into his mares saddle, angling his lance so it sharply pushed into Alester's shoulder. Alester nearly lost his balance right then and there but he managed to keep himself upright with a death grip on the reins.

Aemond ended on the other side of the field and adjusted his seating. He looked into the stands to see his wife, eyes closed and looking extremely worried. A pang of guilt wrecked his chest. She looked almost angelic though. Her hair framed her sun brushed cheeks perfectly, the necklace he gifted her gleamed bright in the sunlight.

His dove.

His meaning.

He knew what had to be done.

"Ha!" Aemond shouted, his horse lurching forward at his command. Alester barely had time to recover, sweaty fingers grasping his lance between clumsy fingers. He had not been on a horse many times in his life. Aegon had been patient in teaching him, telling him it was okay to be so afraid.

Aemond did not throw his Lance forward until he could see the whites of Alesters eyes. The tip of his lance nailed him right in the belly, splintering off into a million pieces. Aemond could only hear the familiar slamming of a limp body into the dirt below, and the cheers and roar of the crowd.

Alester cursed under his breath, slamming his fist into the dirt. Alicent sighed and rubbed her temple. She was grateful her son was unharmed, but she felt as if her plans were wasted. Otto was the most pissed, crossing his arms over his chest while he shook his head.

Rhaenyra looked over her shoulder with a sly grin. Alicent, ever the stalker, immediately met her gaze. Rhaenyra did not look away, instead she hardened her gaze until it grew too uncomfortable for the Queen. Alicent looked down into her lap and lightly clapped her hands to cheer on her middle child.

The crowd cheered and Alaesys could finally lift her head. Aemond took a victory lap, bowing to the common folk as he passed. Alaesys smiled widely and carried her daughter to the edge of the balcony again. Aemond reached over and took Aemma into his arms again, sitting her carefully in his saddle with one hand braced against her stomach.

"For the Phoenix! May she burn ever bright!" Aemond trotted past Alester, not even looking below to the fallen man. Aemond was consumed by the cheers and excitement he did not see Alester stumble over into the horse due to the injury of his head. The beast belted forward and with it, went Aemond and Aemma. The crowd cried out and Alaesys froze with fear. Her husband fell off, onto his back, the small babe secured against his chest.

Aemma gave the tiniest of whines from the fall but was unharmed. Aemond looked down at her pink cheeks that were smeared with dirt and tear streaks. He cupped the back of her head, checking on her for any wounds.

"Aemond!" Alaesys could not be stopped, her feet carrying her far faster than the guards could catch her. As her sister had warned, the bottom of her dress was ruined, dragging through dirt and horse shit. Aemond propped himself up and a rage filled his very veins. Alester mumbled apologies, raising his hands while blood dribbled from his skull

He removed his helm and pushed his sweaty hair from his face. His eyes were dilated and is was apparent he was in no condition to fight. Aemond very much expected Alaesys to scoop up their babe so Aemond could have his way with the idiotic man.

Alaesys ran right past her husband and child. She closed her fist into a tight ball and swung with a might she didn't know she could possess. Her knuckles cracked against Alester's jaw and he stumbled back a few feet, blood pouring from his lip. Alaesys did not stop her assault even when her hand began to pour with blood.

A mixture of her own and the traitors red essence.

"Nādrēsy! Nādrēsy!" She screamed. Bastard. Bastard. Fucking bastard! Alester did not try and fight off the Princess. He merely raised his hands to try and soften her blows. Rhaenyra stood from her seat and yelled at the guards standing idly by.

"Go get her!" She ordered. Lucerys came running from the other squires corner, waving his arms and screaming. He caught his sister by the waist, pushing her back to separate her from the man. Alaesys still tried to swing from around her younger brother, teeth gritted and eyes filled with what could only be described as a dragons rage.

Like only tightened his arms around his sisters middle and continued pushing her back. "Ally no! It was an accident!" Oh precious Luke. She had a doubt he'd ever felt rage in his lifetime. Angry tears were spilled down her cheeks and she finally looked upon Alester, bloodied and confused.

"Alester..." she whispered. The woman lifted her hands and felt her stomach churn at the amount of blood leaking between her fingers. She reached down, trying to clean them on the red of her dress. Luke pulled the cloth he used to clean the lances from his pocket and took Alaesys hands in his own.

"It's okay. Aemma is okay." Lucerys reassured his sister. Aemond stood carefully with his daughter and placed his other hand on Alaesys shoulder. She flinched at the touch but turned to see Aemond looking upon her with concern.

"I-I....."

"Hush, little one. Look, she's fine." Aemond kissed Alaesys head as she gazed upon her babe that seemed more bubbly than ever. Guards came to the aid of Alester. Alicent was now standing, hands covering her mouth in horror. It was not only her that looked concerned. Alaesys could feel the judging eyes of the crowd. The Princess had rushed the field like a wild animal. She had wailed on an injured man over an accident.

Her head felt fuzzy and she couldn't swallow the lump in her throat no matter how she tried. She gently picked up Aemma and held her against her chest with a blank stare. Aemond wrapped his arm around her and stroked Aemma's head.

"You need some water. Let's get you cleaned up." Aemond guided Alaesys past the whispering and gossiping folk. They had heard of Targaryen madness. Years and years of inbreeding could cause such a thing. Targaryen's were known for their brutal leaders as much as they were their dragons. The Targaryen mother must be suffering the same, no?

The Ivory Wrath