nineteen

"Okay, so I'm gonna face time Luz now. Are you ready?" Amity asked, opening her laptop.

Maia sighed loudly and nodded. "I don't really wanna do this.. not after what she's done to you."

"It'll be fine." Amity chuckled, pressing Luz's contact and face timing her.

It rung a few times before Luz picked up.

"Hey, Luz." Amity waved, making Luz smile wide.

"Ams! Hey! You look different.. I don't know how to explain it. You look much more mature." Luz chuckled.

Amity rolled her eyes with a smile. "This is Maia." Amity moved out of the way to reveal Maia with a frown on her face.

"So you're Luz? Goodness me, what a sad life you have." Maia shook her head.

"Maia! Don't be rude." Amity hissed, gently elbowing her.

Luz looked at a loss for words.

Eventually she spoke up. "Uh, it's nice to meet you too, Maia.. I've heard a lot about you from Amity- but just good things! Good things."

Maia crossed her arms, looking unfazed. "Okay. And I've heard a lot about you too. can't say they were all good things though." She shrugged and Amity widened her eyes at her as if to say 'stop doing that'.

She raised an eyebrow. "What have you got against me? Amity said you were 'so nice'. So what's this?" Her eyes darted from Amity's to Maia's.

"I promise she's nice." Amity waved her hands defensively. "She's just.. acting up."

Maia deadpanned at Amity. "Acting up.."

"Okay." Luz nodded.

Just then, Luz's bedroom door opened and Maia and Amity watched quietly as someone entered her room.

Valentina walked behind Luz and put her head on her shoulder. "Babe, what's up? Why haven't you been answeri-" Her eyes shot to her screen, seeing Amity and Maia. "Amity."

Amity's breath hitched as she nervously grinned and waved at the screen. "Hey, Val."

"Yeah, hey." Valentina gave Luz a side glance and quickly turned the call to mute, then whispered in Luz's ear.

The two watched Luz's expression darken as Valentina whispered into her ear, and she avoided eye contact with the screen, looking down at her lap.

Maia cleared her throat. "Clearly this is a bad time. Good meeting you Luz, I guess. But I still dislike you, so don't ever try being buddy-buddy with me, okay? Goodbye." She hung up and sat back in Amity's bed.

Amity looked over at Maia and frowned. "What was that for?"

"Didn't you realise? Valentina was whispering about us!" Maia exclaimed. "And there was no way I'd just sit there and watch someone talk shit about my best friend, muted or not."

"In that case," Amity smiled, sitting back next to Maia and hugging her from the side. "Thanks, Maia. Sometimes I wonder what I'd do without you!"

Maia chuckled, hugging Amity back. "Well, first if all, you wouldn't have such an awesome best friend." She smirked. "I'm kidding, but I don't know what I'md do without you! You mean the world and more to me, Amity! I love you a lot."

"You know I love you too." Amity grinned, letting go of Maia and sitting up straight. "How about you come back to Hexside with me? Not forever, just for a while! You could come for hoco, we could go together! It'd be so much fun."

"Thanks, but I don't really do social events like that.. I'll think on coming to Hexside, okay?" She chuckled hesitantly.

Amity nodded. "Yes! Take your time, let me know if you wanna come, I'll help you book a flight! Plus, I'm leaving in like six months anyway. That's plenty of time to think!"