thirty-four

"Wake up," Luz gently shook Amity who was completely covered by their duvet.

She groaned, rubbing at her eyes and pushing down the duvet. "What time is it? I'm so tired.."

Luz took her by the hand, "sit up."

Amity smiled, sitting up like Luz had told her to and she yawned. "Good morning."

"Good morning. How're you feeling? You went to sleep pretty late last night, didn't you?" She grinned, kissing Amity on the forehead.

"Mmmh," She nodded. "About two hours after you. Maybe more? I just couldn't fall asleep.."

Luz sat down next to Amity and hugged her. "You could've woken me up, I would've stayed up with you.. we could've watched a movie or something."

Amity closed her eyes and hugged Luz back. "I know, but the past few weeks have been such a mess with all thse exams and shit, you deserved to sleep. I couldn't bare having to wake you up, you looked so cute." She chuckled.

"Wow," Luz scoffed. "You shouldn't worry about me. I'd be fine, I wouldn't mind staying up if it were with you." She closed her eyes.

Maia knocked on the door. "Can I come in?"

Luz let go of Amity, but still sat next to her and held her hand. "Yup."

"Good morning, love birds." Maia grinned, walking over to them and sitting down at the edge of their bed. "Wanna do something today? You two deserve the break, I know how hard you've been studying and working."

Amity nodded. "I could do with a break, thanks Maia." She grinned, Maia shook her head and smiled.

"What would we do?" Luz asked.

Maia shrugged. "I don't really care about what we do to be honest. Anything's fine. You two can pick if you'd like."

Amity hummed, "Well, I don't think there's anything in particular I'd like to do, really. I'm also fine with anything." She turned to Luz. "How about you?"

"Arcade."

-

"Please if you don't win this for me I'm gonna lay down on the ground and throw a fit." Amity hissed, narrowing her eyes and staring through the glass of the claw machine while Luz tried to win a huge plush panda.

"I'm trying!" She whined, all of her attention on that claw machine.

Maia stood next to Amity, holding most of the things they had won. "Amity. You've got like ten stuffed animals already.. isn't that enough?" She snickered.

Amity looked at Maia and frowned. "I only need this one and I'm done.. I won't need anymore." She looked back at the claw machine. "Okay, Luz. That looks decent. Put the thingy down!"

Luz chuckled, pressing the button to lower the claw.

All three of them crossed their fingers as it went down, and Amity cheered when it caught it and dropped it through the hole.

Luz proudly gave Amity the panda, and Amity threw herself onto Luz, hugging her and smiling. "Thank you, thank you!" She kissed her on the cheek and pulled back, looking at the panda. "Isn't it so cute?"

Maia giggled, "it is really cute. But, I have an idea as to what we can do next. Let's go take a seat over there and organise our stuff." She pointed towards a small bench.

Amity sat on the bench in between Luz and Maia, shoving all of her prizes into her bag, but she noticed Luz was acting off.

"What's wrong?"