twenty-nine

"Willow just texted me," Amity said, looking over her phone at Maia.

Maia moved closer to Amity to see her phone. "She's asking us to come over?"

Amity nodded. "Yeah, you can go. I don't feel too good."

"No, I'll stay and take care of you." Maia pouted, sitting up on the bed.

"No, No." Amity shook her head and chuckled. "I'll be fine, besides, I still have Luz. If I need anything she'll help me."

Maia bit the inside of her cheek. "Are you sure? I don't wanna leave you here like this.." Then, her eyes widened for a split second and she was on her feet. "Wait here!"

-

Maia ran into Luz's room, slamming the door shut behind her.

Luz raised an eyebrow and her eyes widened. "Woah, what-"

"I need you to look after Amity for me while I go to Willow's dorm." She huffed. "I would stay with her instead but she's not letting me, so you're gonna look after her. Okay?"

"Okay." She nodded slowly. "Wait- why do I need to look after her?"

"She doesn't feel well." Maia began walking to the door to leave. "I'm counting on you!"

Luz sat motionless on her bed, trying to get everything locked into her brain. So she needed to look after Amity. Not a big deal.

She ran her hand along the back of her neck and stood up, waiting until she heard the front door open and shut again before going into the kitchen and turning on the kettle to make Amity tea.

-

Amity lay in her bed, scrolling through penstagram when her door opened and Luz walked in, holding a mug and smiling sheepishly.

"Luz?" Amity sat up. "Hey, why're you here?"

Luz sat down on the edge of Amity's bed, handing her the warm mug. "Maia told me you weren't feeling well. What's wrong?"

"Thanks," Amity held the mug in both hands to warm them up. "I just feel sick, and my head hurts like hell."

"Do you want pain killers?" Luz asked, reaching into Amity's drawers in her bedside table, taking out a packet of paracetamol.

Amity shook her head. "I think I'll be fine. But-" She paused mid-sentence. "No, nevermind. Thanks."

Luz put the pain killers down onto the bedside table and turned to Amity. "But what?"

"Could you just.." Amity hesitated. "Stay here? With me? I could get my laptop out and we could watch something.." Her cheeks gradually turned red.

Luz smirked, running a hand through her hair. "Of course. Wait, I'll go get my laptop cause I just charged it up." She stood up, leaving Amity's room.

Amity looked down at the mug she was holding. She squeezed it tighter and smiled to herself, resisting the urge to start squealing. It felt like forever since her and Luz hung out like that, just them. And thinking about it made her stop paying attention to her headache, instead she focused on her thumping heart.

"I'm back." Luz announced, closing the door behind her with her foot and sitting the laptop down on Amity's bed.

She sat down next to Amity and turned the laptop on, logging in while Amity sipped on the hot tea.

"What're we watching?" Amity asked, pulling back the mug and watching Luz turn Netflix on.

Luz shrugged. "Whatever you wanna watch, I'm okay with anything."