SEVENTEEN

"I've got some leads from Europe," Jade explained through the other side of the phone as I yanked the door of my car open and slid inside, tossing the briefcase in the backseat

"I've got some leads from Europe," Jade explained through the other side of the phone as I yanked the door of my car open and slid inside, tossing the briefcase in the backseat. "Already booked a flight. Hopefully, it wouldn't end up with another dead end."

"Jade, whatever happens. If he's the right person, you know better than to make direct contact," I told her, clenching the steering wheel tight, hoping she wouldn't ignore my advice like she often did. "You're only there to confirm his identity. And once that happens, you'll leave everything to me. Do you hear me?"

"Loud and clear," she muttered, but I could practically imagine her rolling her eyes at me. Not that I cared. Her safety was more important than anything.

"He is dangerous, Jade."

"I know, Maddox."

"If you know that much, then you'll fucking keep your distance. If he even got the whiff of what we're up to, we can't even imagine what he would do. He might hurt you. Like he did to—"

"Don't worry about me," she sighed. "I won't engage. But even then, if anything happens to me, Maddox, I need you to know I won't hold you responsible."

"Is that supposed to make me feel better?" I scoffed, turning the ignition and reversing the car from the garage.

"No. A little less culpable."

After pulling up the car at the side of the road, I stepped out and headed down the familiar gravel path that led to the cemetery. I had been here too many times to count. But the force of guilt never seemed to ease. Coming here served as an exhaustive reminder that I had failed to bring her justice. That she was still waiting to be avenged. That I had to keep digging until I found what I had been looking for, for the past five years.

Walking past several tombstones—some old, some new—I finally reached the one I was here for.

Emily Gomez. A shining star, forever in our hearts.

I sat on my haunches and placed the bunch of white lilies—her favourites—on the raised platform. The cool breeze of the morning brushed past my face and ruffled my hair. I dusted the dry leaves away from her stone and just looked at her name blankly.

I tried to say something.

But even in the quiet—even with no one watching—I couldn't whisper a single word out. It was as if I didn't deserve her forgiveness. Asking for it just felt like a waste of time. If only I hadn't been so ignorant.

"You have to believe me, Maddox. I don't have any proof right now. But if you just—" Emily tried to explain, her body trembling with the amount of frustration, hurt and desperation coursing through her bones.

Maddox cut her off, as he sat at his office desk, agitated. "You're wasting my time, Emily. Go back to your home. Or talk to dad. I don't have anything to say to you. Just get lost!"

"You don't believe me now," she choked out, tears pouring down her cheeks as she held the doorknob tightly. "But when I'm gone...when I'm gone, Madd...that day you'll be truly helpless."

The pressure behind my eyes felt too much all of a sudden. I didn't usually let such emotions rack me the way they did whenever I sat in front of her, she reminded me of the man I could never be for her.

I could not protect her.

It was impossible not to feel like a failure, to not feel responsible for everything that transpired five years ago.

Not sure for how long I sat there, quietly, feeling the wind on my face and letting the guilt wash over me until it soaked me, but when my phone buzzed and reminded me of life I was in no rush to head back to, I let out a sigh.

Muttering a silent apology to Emily for the loud noise, I slid the phone out of my pocket and answered without catching the name.

It was Margo.

It was time to leave.

The entire day, I could hardly focus. Meetings went by in a blur, and conversation nothing but drones to my ears. A boring day overall. It was around five in the evening when I got a text from one of my cousins and my monotonous day finally saw a flicker of blue.

Finally, something to look forward to.

Armonica: Housewarming party at Zara's new place. Tonight. I'm invited. Are you jealous?😉

Maddox: What makes you think I'm not invited?

Armonica: Don't play your stupid mind games with me, Maddie.

Maddox: ...

Armonica: Wait. Are you? Invited?

Maddox: What do you think?

Armonica: I think...you're bluffing. It's impossible she'd invite you. HAHA

Maddox: Well then...nothing to be done here, is there?

Armonica: Ughhhhh why do you have to be so difficult? Can't you just be straightforward for once?

Maddox: Fine. I'm invited.

Armonica: ...

Maddox: She just doesn't know it yet 😉

Armonica: ...Jerk!

After wrapping up the work for the day, I grabbed the suit jacket and headed for the door. Margo met me halfway, an expensive bottle of wine in her hand.

"It just came."

"Good timing," I said with a crooked grin, receiving it from her and heading for the door. "Just What I needed."

Tonight's gonna be fun.

A/N: OOps!!!??? ;p

You can also read the complete book on Radish and Patreon. 

The link is in the bio <3