EPILOGUE [PART II]

I play with the button on his shirt and grin

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

I play with the button on his shirt and grin. "What if I told you, it wasn't exactly our first meeting?"

He looks puzzled. "What do you mean? Have we met before? When?"

"Five months before we met in your office."

"Are you serious?" Sitting straighter, he adjusts me on his lap while I move my arms around his round shoulder. "When? And why don't I remember anything?"

"In the restaurant where I used to work. You know, the one you had me fired from?" I arch an eyebrow, still pissed at what he did.

He's quick to apologize, his warm fingers exploring the expanse of my back. "I think we already established the fact that I was a dick then. Can we move on? Please?"

"Alright." I roll my eyes and laugh when he tickles my sides. "You were there with a few of your employees, and as luck would have it, we were also running low on staff. So, I came up to take your order."

"You did what?" He looks so shocked, it makes me grin wider. "What the hell was I doing?"

I shrug. "I don't know? You were busy. I think. To be honest, you didn't even look at the menu. You just barked out the order, dismissed me with a wave of your hand and went back to whatever important conversation you had going on."

"Shit. No doubt you thought I was a dick."

"Well, I did charge you triple for everything you ordered, so I guess we're even."

"Of course, you'll do that. That's such a Zara move." He doesn't look upset. Instead, he kisses my jaw and dips his face into the curve of my neck. "I missed you so much you've no idea."

"I missed you too." I scoop my fingers into his hair and sigh when he leaves a trail of feathery kisses all over my neck and bites me gently. "Maddox?"

"Hmm?"

"I need to tell you something."

Reluctantly, he pulls away and looks back at me. "What is it?"

I swallow and lower my eyes. "I haven't been completely honest with you."

I expect him to frown and maybe create some distance between us. But he does no such thing. Surprising me, he wraps his fingers around the back of my neck and pulls me down for a long and deep kiss. Something warm and funny unfurls in my chest, in the pit of my stomach. By the time we pull away, we are both breathless.

"I promise you, whatever it is, I will not be unreasonable. Tell me now. Or tomorrow. Or a hundred years later. I don't care. Because there's nothing that can ruin what we have. I won't allow it." He says, and for some reason, it's the sexiest thing he ever said to me.

I reward him with a peck.

He grins. "So, are you going to tell me now, or?"

I wish I didn't have to, but I've already kept him in the dark for so long. He deserves to know the truth. "Before Richard let me go, he said something to me I didn't tell you."