FIFTY FIVE

"So let me get this straight

"So let me get this straight." Nathan frowned, glaring at me with his hands on his hips. "First, you force Zara into marrying you, then force her out. You don't tell her anything about Emily, and now she is missing and you don't have a fucking clue?"

This whole thing sounded like one fucked up disaster. I should have probably seen that coming. And I did. But I was a fucker blinded by my equally fucked up emotions. I called this upon myself despite swearing never to let this happen ever again.

I should have stayed away. I should have let her live her life in peace. I should not have let myself care. Not after what happened to Emily. But I did, and now everything around me was pulsing, threatening to explode. Including my brother's temper—the one guy who rarely lost his fuse—just one word away from skyrocketing.

Not that it mattered in the face of this blunder named Richard Milton.

Two hours ago, after the entire fiasco with Josh in his club, I woke up in my car with a terrible weakness. Zara and my driver gone. This whole thing had Richard's name written all over the place. I just knew it. The fucker got his hands on her when I was out cold. I had no clue how that even happened. But instead of waiting and wasting my time in the hope it would come back to me, I called Nathan and asked him to meet me at my office with Tyler.

Tyler was a doctor by profession, just like Richard used to be before he moved his focus to research and left practice for good. That bastard had some shady human experiments going on in his lab. After an anonymous tip, when the authorities found out and ransacked his lab, they chucked him out of the fraternity and ousted him from practising ever again. Not to forget the criminal charges unleashed his way. Suffice it to say, he had been on the run ever since.

It was because of Tyler's medical knowledge and contacts that I could track down Richard a year later after what he did to Emily and all those other girls. He was hiding in Zhenzhou, a city in China, but he slipped through my fingers minutes before we burst into his hotel room.

The bastard had been in thin air ever since, making appearances in different parts of the world, playing his stupid games, and mocking me.

A few months back, Jade and I concluded that he might have someone powerful to back him up and offer protection. Our best bet was the people from the underworld. But those people didn't do favours without shit. Richard had something they wanted. And I had no clue what that thing was. Because if I did, there were hundreds of ways I could have used that to turn those mafia men against him, to end him by the very people he depended on for his life.

It had already been two hours since she was taken. I was pretty sure Zara was still passed out, clueless of the danger she was about to wake up to.

If only I had been honest with her since day one. I should have told her about Emily and could have prepared her instead of keeping her in the dark.

"Maddox!" Nathan yelled, snapping me out of my guilt. "You realize we don't have time for the la la land, don't you? We need to put the word out as soon as possible. Time is of the essence here. We can't risk losing any more."