FORTY ONE

The fucker tricked me not once, but multiple times

The fucker tricked me not once, but multiple times. For Christ's sake, how could I have been so stupid?

I tell you for sure though I wasn't about to make any more fools of myself. He might have gotten his way with me every single time in the past, just because I let my heart fuck me up despite all the warnings my brain had been waving in my face. My unruly emotions destroyed me so frankly that I got myself into this hell of a situation without ever asking for it.

How did I ever think that I could fall for a man like Maddox Richmond? He should have been the last person on this damn earth for me to envision my future with. In less than a ye, he completely wrecked me. He took away so much. From my childhood home to my mom's shop, to my dignity, to my choices, to my freedom, to my future. Everything. He took away everything. As if except for his needs, desires, dreams and wants, nothing else mattered. No one else held any importance. He was such a selfish bastard who couldn't get his head out of his ass.

But that was in the past. No. I wasn't about to act like a woman who was hopeless and helpless. No. Never. That's not how my mom raised me. I'd show him what being tricked felt like. I'd show him how it feels to be betrayed by the very people you trusted. And I'd show him how pathetic being pushed into a corner felt like. Just watch, Maddox Richmond, I wouldn't rest until I gave you the taste of your own medicine.

oh, and don't even get me started on his trickster mother! This mother-son duo was born to exploit people.

After he informed me about the gathering tonight, I knew for me to play by his rules was not only important but also mandatory. I couldn't do what I had in mind if I remained oblivious to simple facts that could make all the difference. That's what led me to drink every word of that contract as if it was water and I had been thirsty for centuries.

The surprised yet content look on his face when I expressed my so-called cooperation to him back in the car felt like one step closer to my ultimate goal. Once I had done and executed my carefully crafted plan Maddox Richmond wouldn't know what hit him and when.

"Alright, that's all, I think..." Maddox's mom sighed. After meeting at least dozens of Maddox's cousins and a million of his uncles and aunts, the woman had finally taken a breather. God, she was a talker. And damn if I could catch up. But no matter what, I forced myself to greet everyone with the brightest smile I was capable of, so much my cheeks and jaw had started to hurt.

"Oh, wait no," she almost jumped out of her chair, suddenly remembering something. "There's still one very important person you haven't met yet," she looked around, diligently scanning the giant of the hall. "Though I'm not sure if he's here yet...he's not a party type if you know what I mean."

I gave her a nod and a smile. "Of course. Why don't you take a seat here? I'll get you something to drink. Talking to these many people must have tired you out."

"Oh, I'm fine. But a glass of water wouldn't hurt I believe," she gave my hands a gentle squeeze before beckoning with her index finger to get closer to her. Not sure what to expect, I did what she wanted and lent her my ear.