TWENTY SIX

"It's only a matter of a few days," I said over the phone, rubbing my temples

"It's only a matter of a few days," I said over the phone, rubbing my temples. "Once I'm sure he isn't planning anything nefarious, you'll be free to go. So, please, for the love of God, stop giving hard times to my men. I posted them outside of your house for your own safety and not for any sort of kick."

"It's already been three days, Maddox," she droned, sounding annoyed.

"You don't know him, Jade. He is a fucking psycho. Once he gets the hang of something, he doesn't let go until he sucks the life out of it."

"I've read his file. I know about his...obsessions."

"Then you should know better than to take him for granted. He is a dangerous man, Jade, and if we want to destroy him in his own game, we need to think and act like him. Else, he'll be always one step ahead of us and we'll never be able to..."

"...avenge Emily?"

"Catch him...but yeah, that too."

"I trust you, Maddox. I hope you know that. But it still annoys me that I can't get the hell out of this place. I'm so fucking bored."

I chuckled, dropping my legs from the desk and to the floor, straightening my spine. "Well, in that case, maybe I'll drop by once I'm done from here."

"Really?" for the first time, she sounded excited. "That would be awesome. I'll wait for you."

Disconnecting the call, I dumped it on the table and sank back into my chair.

It was because of me Jade was stuck in this situation. Not that I didn't warn her about how dangerous this job could be, but it still made me feel a tad guilty nonetheless. I could order her around like any other person who worked for me and she would listen—I knew that—but I also knew how reckless Jade could be once she lost her mind. And right now, it seemed like she was on verge of losing her shit.

When I first met Jade, she was only the little sister of Josh—my school friend—and nothing more. Our families were close, our fathers even had a collaborative project, but because my dad was greedier and controlling, her father refused to work with him ever again. It hurt the ego of my father gravely, and from thereon, one thing led to another. By the time grandad introduced me to the business, they both had become mortal enemies.

Not that it continued after I took over. One of the reasons, my dad couldn't stand me.

Jade knew what happened to Emily five years ago. She knew because they studied at the same college. And even though they couldn't be called best friends exactly, they got along well. While Jade was wild, bold and roguish, Emily was the complete opposite. She was soft-spoken, polite and studious. Though she did have a spur of valour in her veins, too—she was a Richmond after all. Bloody stubborn and impulsive. But it was her good heart and the desire to save the whole fucking world that led her to her demise.

If only she hadn't unheeded my warnings...

The door of my study opened and I picked my gaze just in time to catch mom sliding inside the doors.