TWENTY FIVE

"A customer is asking for you, Zara!" Nate, the head server at our restaurant, told me

"Why? What happened?" I asked, a bit surprised because even though customers could ask for the manager at any time, it was strange as I just came back after attending a table. Not even five minutes had passed.

Anyway, it wasn't like I had any say on the matter. If the customer was asking for me, it was better to leave right away. Make them wait for a second longer and they took it personally on their ego. It was an uphill climb from thereon. Nothing but free meals could satisfy them.

I closed the register, the one that I came here to check and adjusted my blazer. "Let's go then. Why make them wait?" I told him with a smile and he returned with a chuckle.

I followed him to the table, expecting to address some rude men in business attires as if someone pissed in their coffees. But what I didn't expect was to be greeted by three old ladies and a young boy. All of them looked fairly content. As if they were having the best time of their lives, considering they hadn't even ordered yet. Had they asked for me the moment they arrived? Was I missing something here?

Regardless to say, my curiosity was piqued.

"Good afternoon, ma'am. Sir. I'm the manager. Is there anything I can do for you?" I asked in a formal tone, something I usually did with customers.

They all shared an odd look with each other and pressed their lips.

A lady in a light-yellow dress was the first one to speak. "Why don't you take a seat?" she asked me sweetly.

I was confused. "I don't think I should—" I was saying, but the instant scowl on her face halted me from completing my sentence.

"Are you trying to offend me, young lady?" she asked gravely, not so sweetly anymore.

Dumbfounded by the sudden switch in her demeanour, I frowned.

What the hell—?

"Uh...no! That's not what I mean. I would never want to offend you, ma'am. You are—" I tried to placate the situation—the unhappy customer was bad for business, especially that old—what if there were cameras around? I heard about such stunts being pulled these days. To see how people acted and reacted around elderly, children or financially unstable people. If this was one of those set-ups, it was better to stay calm and do everything not to make the woman livid. Because even if it wasn't one of those imprudent tomfooleries, a critical review from an elderly woman always went viral like a fire on Amazon. Brian wouldn't appreciate adverse publicity this soon in his business. No one would.

With a smile, I pulled out the empty chair and sat down.

"Here. I'm seated now. I hope that makes you happy, ma'am."

Flipping her demeanour again, this time back to being sweet and kind, she smiled brightly. "Very happy."

"And very beautiful, Louis!" one of the other elderly women snickered.