THIRTY NINE

I never felt so awkward before

I never felt so awkward before. It was my first. And now that I got some time to think about it—really think about it—it's impossible to say how I feel.

Approximately ten minutes ago, Zara walked out of her room and I had been deliberating ever since if planning this family gathering was a good call or just another trap I was willingly walking into.

No. Don't get me wrong. I wasn't holding her responsible for making me doubt my decisions. Deep down, I knew I called this upon myself.

I should have known she could pull off a white just as fine as she did with all the black, blues, and reds.

God dammit. I knew she was gorgeous. I had known this fact since day one she walked into my office. But tonight...in that satiny white gown that hugged her curves in the way I was reminded of all the times I got the chance to explore them with my own hands...she looked extravagantly beautiful. Truly so. A pure angel. Her long white hair curled and lifted in a simple up-do. Thin ringlets framed her graceful features in a way I wanted to kiss her. Hold her. Lock her up in a room where no one but I could admire her beautiful self.

Was it too late to cancel the party? Could I just ask everyone to return and mind their business while I took my time to remove those diamond earrings dangling from her ears and kiss that bare neck and shoulder? Could I just carry her in my arms and take her while she still wore those glittery heels that gave her an extra inch so she easily reached my chin?

Looking at her for over five seconds was too much torture for my poor heart. I couldn't take it. Could anyone? A part of me thought she was doing this deliberately. Because I pissed her off by making her sign the contract, now she was out for revenge. She was going to make me suffer in the worst way possible.

Had she realized how much of a weakness she had become of mine? That at the end of the day, all I wanted was to bend her over and fuck her like she deserved to be.

As usual, she hadn't spoken a word to me. Not when we moved out of the mansion. Not when we got into the car. Even now, when we were almost at our destination, she hadn't spared me a single glance. I couldn't help but notice this light year of the distance between us.

Was she going to stay mad forever?

Sure, the main purpose of mine was to protect her from all the prying eyes and the fact that I wanted her to be loyal to me while we had this...whatever we had...thing going on. I wanted her all for myself. No other bastard was allowed to touch her—or even think about her. She was mine until I felt like I could let her go.

Perhaps I went a little too far. But except for offending her this badly, I held no regrets. Hopefully, she would get over this soon enough and we could live the happy and content life that I had been imagining since the moment I asked my lawyer to create the contract after meeting that fucker Josh.

The car came to a halt, bursting the bubble of my thoughts.

Time to put on a grand show.

But before that, there was one thing to take care of.