FIFTY FOUR

The hangover of the previous night hit me way before the mellow music in my ears and was way more powerful than a damn wrecking ball

The hangover of the previous night hit me way before the mellow music in my ears and was way more powerful than a damn wrecking ball. In fact, now that I thought about it, the way my body hurt it had been fucking bruised, a tractor-trailer truck probably ran over me. It didn't help that everything around me was constantly in motion. Or it felt like it was, yet the lack of food in my tummy was to be blamed for the terrible sickness gushing up my chest.

I blinked several times to clear the fuzziness in front of my eyes, just in time to catch a line of tall trees on either side of the rocky road. One minute ago, the music that sounded foreign to my ears now felt coherent enough to know it was English and not extraterrestrial. God, imagine if that was the case. The only good thing would have been to get rid of Maddox Richmond and his annoying toxic ass. Speaking of which...

"Hey. Wow, you're awake." I heard someone chirp next to me as I rolled my neck to the other side and brushed the back of it. The muscles felt stiff and sore after falling asleep at an awkward angle.

"Since how long I had been out?"

I heard the same voice chuckle. "I think it's been over four hours. But that's okay, we're almost there."

The sound of tires mixed with the music that was flowing from the radio filled the air and questions started to pop up.

I rubbed my temples and squinted at the man behind the steering wheel. Freckled face. Lanky body. That look of a classic nerd. He didn't strike me as someone I knew. Weird. "Do I know you?"

Pushing up those thick-rimmed glasses up his nose, he caught my gaze for a jiffy before focusing on the road ahead. "Me? Oh, no. No." He shook his head more than once, before smiling awkwardly. "I...I don't think so."

Then why do I feel like I have seen him somewhere?

I tried to dig into my brain for any familiarity or someplace I could have seen him. When all I got in return was a blunt headache, I winced. "Where the hell is Maddox?"

The voices in my head grumbled. That fucker. Did he abandon me with this guy? Was this supposed to be some kind of punishment? What the fuck was he up to now?

The man chuckled, glancing at the side mirror. "You remember nothing from the last night, do you?"

Just then, a pickup truck passed by us, and I frowned, growing more and more confused every minute. "Actually. I don't. What happened? And where are we going? Wait. Why am I with you in the first place?" All these questions were making me restless. It was too early for someone to panic because of no reason, so I was hoping whoever this guy was wouldn't push me more than my worn-out brain could handle.

The lanky man next to me rolled his tongue over his bottom lip, scratching the back of his head as if he didn't know which question he wanted to answer first.

Perhaps it was the hangover, but I was growing too irritated too fast. "You know what? Stop the car!"

"Yeah. Wait. No. Can't do it. Not before we reach our destination."