05. Assignments

- Thalia Anagnos-Loukanis - 

I had successfully been able to slip in and out of my house this morning, as I had been staying at the Angelo's for the weekend, as per usual. They understood me more than any of us would ever care to admit to. 

"Thanks for having me again" I broke the silence between Phoenix and I. Silence between the two of us was never unusual. It was basically our entire friendship.

"If you say that word one more-" I cut him off "Thank you" and he just glared at me. He hated the words thank you and sorry for some reason he has never told me why, but I just say them so I can get a heated reaction out of him. 

"Hey, you two!" an unfamiliar voice called out to Phoenix and I. As per usual, Phoenix stood in front of me, as I grabbed onto the back of his hoodie that wasn't covered by his backpack. 

"What?" Phoenix bit back at the people in the car that I hadn't had a chance to glance at yet. We were the only people walking down this street, and there was no other cars on the street. We knew that they wanted us.

"Tahlia" another voice that I had only heard a few days ago, had spoken to us. I peeked around Phoenix's back, and saw that it was indeed Elijah. I had no idea who the other guy was. "Elijah?" the way I said his name came out as more of a question. 

"Do you want a ride to school? It's like another 20 minuets walking" the way Elijah spoke his words was like he wasn't questioning us, more like a statement. I looked to Phoenix, and he wearily nodded. 

Elijah then opened the door, showing three other boys in the back of the car, and an older man in the front. "Hello" I squeaked out, holding onto Phoenix's arm as I felt his shaking hands.

"Hey" a boy that I was sat across from looked scarily similar to me. "Everybody in?" the man from the front spoke, his voice dark and scary, but I assumed it could be even scarier. Everyone had silenced at his voice, and know I knew why Phoenix was nervous. 

These people were the ones that had been involved in fights, even some including Phoenix himself or his brothers. 

"Do you two normally walk to school every day?" Elijah questioned. He was now sitting beside me, which gave me greater comfort than I ever knew I would need. "Yeah" Phoenix spoke for the first time in a while.

"I meet her at her house every morning then we walk together" most of the boys in the car clearly relaxed at these words, which confused me. "She does look like Enzo" I heard someone murmur into another person's ear. 

"You know I can hear, you right?" I felt a surge of confidence. I knew that I looked like the boy in front of me, but he could just be some distant relative that my brothers and sisters forgot to introduce me too, right? 

That was all it was, right? I had a family and so did he, so there was no way that he could be like a long-lost brother that I had read in all those books years ago. "Oh, sorry" the boy that had whispered looked as unapologetic as ever, but I didn't care.