14. Shame

- Lorenzo Colombo - 

 - Lorenzo Colombo - 

I couldn't bare to look at my little sister, knocked out, while her small body was on display to the nurses and doctors racing around the room. I don't know why I had convinced my brothers that I should be the only other one to stay in the room with Leon. 

I couldn't bare to  look at what they were doing to her; rather more what had been done to her and I couldn't stop. I turned my face to look at the landscape that the pristine hospital backed on to, not knowing that Leon had been watching my every move. 

No words were spoken as I felt my head and body being pulled towards him, letting the silent tears run down my cheeks and onto the front of his suit that he still hadn't changed out of since he had been called from work. 

But that didn't matter, what mattered was that my little sister was laying in a hospital bed, getting a feeding tube inserted because the people that had watched her grow up couldn't be bothered to feed her. 

So we were the ones that found her on the verge of passing out. I couldn't even think about the possibility of her walking to school and potentially falling to the ground. "They're finished" I didn't even want to turn and look at her anymore. 

I was more ashamed of what I hadn't done; that I was nothing like my eldest brothers who had not only found her, but had known for months that our little sister had gone to school with us. But yet, for some reason I couldn't pull away from the comfort that Leon had sparsely started to give me recently. 

"Mhmm" I muttered, almost pulling away from my big brother, but he pulled me back in, almost suffocating me. I don't know how I had survived so long without these hugs that only Leon can give. 

"I will let the others in" the Doctor said, but Leon was quick to object. "Not yet". I didn't want to make our brothers wait any longer, so I pulled out of Leon's hold. "Let them in" I spoke, walking away from Leon's reach and quickly into the bathroom, where I could clean myself up. I had to. 

It was what I was made to do. There was no place to cry in the family that I had grown up in; there was no need for Leon to be comforting me when he should be looking after Florence when she wakes up and letting our brothers know that her surgery was over and done with. 

That she had survived another milestone in her life that she shouldn't have. "Enzo" I heard Leo knock on the door, but I didn't respond. I turned on the shower that was in here, making them believe that I was actually having a shower, but I just stood and stared at the young boy I had become. 

I was a disgrace to my family, a disappointment almost. Leon shouldn't have to comfort me because I couldn't deal with seeing someone being cut open. I had forced bruises and cuts on the people I fought on the odd night when Fran would take me to his Friday night fights at his club. 

I wasn't the person that my father had wanted, I was too soft. "Enzo, get out of the shower and come out here now" Leo called again, but I didn't respond nor bother to turn the shower off. What would be the use in going out to face my brothers when I would see my little sister, her small body barely covering the bed that a child her age would.