16. What Was The Point

- Third Person POV - 

| Flashback 8 years ago | 

A young, boy, cuddled up with his arms wrapped around himself, as he had his bare back pressed up against the cold stone. No one had come down to see him in a couple of days, not even to give him food, while he heard his stomach rumble. 

For the past couple of months, he had reminded himself that he had gotten him and his older brother into this situation because he had wanted to go out for ice cream. He whimpered at the thought of his older brother, wanting to just be held by him. 

Lorenzo Colombo, an 8 year old boy had convinced his older brother, Nicolo Colombo, to take him to get ice cream. Nicolo had wanted to go to the skate park with some friends, so he thought it was a fair deal, as he would have to make his brother sit and watch them, and if it meant keeping him quiet, then so be it. 

To Lorenzo, his older brothers were his saviors, so he didn't need to worry about the bad people in the world. He had always been reckless, scaring his parent's poor old hearts, especially his mothers. He would do whatever dare his brothers had asked of him to do. 

But now, he wished that he hadn't spoken to the man, making his older brother chase after him, but it was too late for the two of them. Initially, Nicolo didn't speak to his little brother when they were in the same, small room, but now, they were separated, and the guilt was eating away at the little boy that had been left alone. 

Lorenzo had lost all his confidence that he once had, as he barely spoke, not that he was allowed to, but when his brother wouldn't even speak to him, he felt like he had lost everything. 

"Up" Lorenzo hadn't even heard someone walk down the rickety, rusty metal stairs, that he hated with a passion. Whenever someone walked down them, he knew they were coming to hurt him. He stood up, feeling the blood he had been sitting in, dry up on the backs of his legs and still streaming down his back. 

They had stripped him of his clothes in front of his own brother, who couldn't even look at him. This wasn't the first time this had happened to him, but this time was different. Everything they were doing was becoming more permanent; he had overheard people talking about the cut running down his right leg from his thigh to the middle of the side of his calf would be a permanent scar. 

That there was nothing he could do to get them to stop; to get away from them and pretend it never happened. It had been months now, while last time had only been days. "Walk" the person commanded him, as he stepped forward, before he was grabbed by the neck, and walked up the stairs. 

He almost tripped a couple of times, before he was met with broad daylight. "You want this runt back. Have him. We're done" Lorenzo was face to face with his entire family, even some of his cousins. 

He scanned through all of them, none of them daring to either look him in the eye or smile at him. He looked at the person he hadn't seen for at least two weeks, standing there, not a single hair out of place. Nicolo couldn't even look him in the eye, knowing he was going to hate him for the rest of his life.