24. Guilty but Innocent

| Leonidas Colombo |

Leo and Fran had left me with Florence, which scared me. I wasn't someone who got scared easily, and this scared me more than I knew it should. She was my baby sister, and the worst thing about it, was that I had already been screwing her over even before she knew that I was her older brother. Someone that was supposed to protect her and cradle her close to my chest. 

The worst part is, was that I cradled the small child, seeing her dressed in a skin tight dress that no 5 year old should ever wear. I had cuddled and swaddled her for the nights that I decided to show up, before I didn't. I eventually lost interest in being involved with the shit that the Anagnos' and Loukanis' did, as it ruined every moral that I ever had. 

She was curled up in my lap, having fallen asleep from exhausting herself from sobbing into my chest for a solid 15 minuets, which was the cue for the boys to leave us be. I had let her down, and I felt awful about it, scared of what could happen if she woke up in my lap, scared of me because she associates me with people like her brothers and sisters. 

I know we had had good times, but recently, it had been a little different. I had yelled at her, before then disappearing for a couple of nights, not letting her know a thing. Knowing me, this was just how I functioned, being a shitty person towards everyone, and in all reality, no one deserved how I treated them, being bipolar all the time, especially Enzo and Florence. 

Speaking of Enzo, I had missed my little buddy. He had always followed me around with his little blue blankie when he was about 4 years old, and I missed seeing him like that. I knew he was going through some serious shit, and wouldn't say a thing, not even to Florence, and I knew the two confided in one another more than the rest of us. 

Reaching over, I ever so subtly grabbed my phone, before swiping it open with one hand, as the other was occupied holding Florence to my chest, as I flicked through my photos. Most of them were of the boys, as some held Florence, mostly being when she was only very little, which made my heart break, as she had only barely opened her eyes before we never saw her again. 

Finding the photo that had been making my stomach churn, I stared down at it. It made  something in my heart break, as I tried to figure out who the young girl was in the photo that I had taken with Enzo and his little blankie. It was his last day of preschool for his second year, and there was this small girl cuddled into his side, who was much younger than him.

Give or take them being two years apart, it confused me as to why looking at this small girl, she looked so familiar. I couldn't pin point it. Scrolling to find another photo, Nico, Enzo, a small boy and a small girl were all sitting together at one table, for their first day. Nico was in the year above, which was easily seen, but the little boy and girl looked much younger than the two of them, noticeably the younger girl. 

Right as I was about to flick to another photo, someone opened the door, so I turned my phone off, before turning to the person that had opened the door. Seeing a panicked Enzo, broke my cold heart, as he searched the room, before his eyes found me. "Leon, I can't find F-" he went to began, before his eyes found our little sister, as his body visibly sagged in relief.