28. Just Come Home

| Florence Colombo |

I had been living alone for most of my life, so I wasn't naive to the potential work that my brothers could be doing or that the movement of some of the trees weren't always just the trees. No, I knew that people could be out there, watching us, that cameras didn't pick up. Hence why I didn't sit anywhere downstairs anymore, especially not alone. 

I knew that Franco was home with Enzo and I, as we sat in Enzo's room, just the two of us with a TV on, cuddled in his bed with millions of blankets. This was a usual night for us, especially when it was freezing in the house, which seemed to be common. It was common for the heater to take ages to heat up the whole house, so we limited it to one of our rooms, before we ran down to get snacks for the night, then ran back up. 

"Hey, what are you two up to?" Nic came into the room, scaring me more than I knew it should have. I snuggled further into Enzo, hoping it to cover it, and he must have felt the shiver that wracked through my body when I heard the scraping of the trees against his window, as he pulled me closer, and started running his hand up and down my back. 

I looked to Nic, seeing him all dressed up, but a second scrap distracted me more than it should have. Everything was more than it should be. "Just watching a movie" Enzo grabbed the remote to stop the movie, allowing the scraping of the trees to become even louder. I looked, but the trees were not moving as much as they should be, to be scraping the window that much. 

Plus, it shouldn't have been that loud and that consistent. I knew it, as my old house had had trees up to the windows, and they were never that loud. Nic must have caught my attention as he was quick to say, "Be quiet, and come right here to me" his voice just above a whisper, making me spring out of the bed, and sliding into his warm arms. 

Enzo was quick to follow me, as the three of us stood there, shivering. "Slide under the bed, and find the latch" Nic spoke to Enzo, whom climbed under the bed, opening the latch. "Go" I looked at him, asking if he was coming with without the words, but he shook his head. I grabbed his arm, as he pried it, giving me the look I had been given since I had come back. 

It was pity, but we didn't have time. A fourth scratch was heard, quickly followed by another, as Nic guided me there, right as the lights turned off. I slid under, and Enzo's arms grabbed me from beneath him, as he slid the lid over the two of us. I held my breath, as I heard Enzo do the same when we heard the power go off. 

I blinked the tears away, as I heard the first step into the room, right above us. I was sure that we were going to be found, as they must have heard us, so they would know we were here. The TV was still on for crying out loud. They would have known that someone was here only moments ago. I was pretty sure that Nic could have still been standing there. 

I could feel Enzo shaking from beneath me, only making me shake even harder. "They were here, I knew that they were. I fucking heard them" a voice spoke, from right above us. I heard a kick to the bed, making me shiver. They were about to find us, if they moved the bed. "Well you clearly fucking scared them with the scratching on the window, fucker" a second voice piped up, and it sounded vaguely familiar.