10. Awoken

- Thalia Anagnos - Loukanis - 

I felt a heavy weight around every limb of my body, so I tried to peel my eyes open, but to no avail did that work. Wait, why was I even sleeping? I'm supposed to be at school. I had already slept for the designated time, so why was I still sleeping? 

I was going to get killed for this.

"Excuse me, sir, but before you leave, can you just check her heart monitor one more time? The scribbles on the machine are closer together which means her heart is beating faster. She has to wake up soon, doesn't she?" 

That panicked voice sounded so familiar, but yet, so strange because I had never heard panic come from that boy's mouth for as long as I had known him. He had always been expressionless for some unknown reason that he wouldn't stick around long enough for me to understand why. 

"Good eye, Lorenzo. She should be awake in the next few moments" everything went silent after that, as I heard a door open and close. That was who that voice was, that was panicked. 

Lorenzo

Wait, why in god's name was he here? Surely I was just asleep in my normal bed, that creaked every time I made the slightest movement in it. 

I took one final breath, willing myself to pry my eyes open to assure Lorenzo that I was perfectly fine. That he could go home to his family and I could go to mine and pretend like all of this never happened. 

That we never noticed how similar we looked. 

"Enz-" I heard someone start, as I then felt a hand graze my own. That was when my eyes opened, taking in the bright white light that seemed to cover every surface of the room. "Hey" a calmed voice spoke, as another hand was put over my eyes so that I could see. 

I breathed once again, signaling that I was calm and content with the bright light being out of my face. 

I went to respond to Lorenzo, but it felt like my throat had closed up, so I pulled my hands up to scratch at my throat, but a small cup with a extremely large straw was placed to my dry, cracked lips, as I took a sip. 

My throat opened up, allowing me to respond to Lorenzo with a "hey" myself. Before I knew it, arms were wrapped around my shoulders, as a chin was rested on top of my own. "Missed you" he just seemed to squeeze even tighter, if that was even humanly possible. 

How could someone like Lorenzo miss a person like me? What was there to miss about someone like me that they had only known for the span of not even two days. 

"Enz, let the girl breath for a minuet" that voice sounded scarcely similar as well. "Leonidas?" I questioned, as Lorenzo loosened his grip around my shoulders, but continued to rest his chin on top of my head. 

"Yes, sweetheart?" the nickname made me flinch once again, but I hope they didn't realize. Who was I kidding, Lorenzo was right above me. He never said a word about it, rather just running a hand up and down my bare arm. 

Last time I remember, I was wearing a long sleeve jumper, but I looked down at my chilled, pale arms to see nothing but a tiny sleeve. 

Those pale arms were the ones that were covered in scars and scratches that I wanted to burn off my skin. 

I pulled at the light fabric that barely covered my shoulders, feeling way too open to these people I barely knew. "Here" Lorenzo unraveled himself from me to pull his hoodie over his arms and head, just to put it over my own. 

He so tenderly pulled it over my head, then lifted me a little to get it to fall down my back as my arms were lifted to slip through the arm holes. I was then rested back down on the bed. I wish I was cared for like this everyday. 

I remembered that I had never responded to Leonidas half-statement half-question, so I asked the question that had been bugging me since I had awoken "why are you all here?" 

I addressed all the people in the room, taking note that Stefano and Elijah weren't in the room, but everyone I was kinda familiar with besides Lorenzo's father and I assume his other brother I had never been introduced to. 

I just hoped that these people hadn't called my siblings to make sure they knew I was here, because if they did, I would be in so much trouble. This was where I was never supposed to end up. I was supposed to be away from them, but not here, of all places. 

"Because you fainted" I vaguely remember that happening, but why didn't they just drop me off? Just discard of me like I knew everyone else at my house would want to do. 

"There is something that we never told you" as Leonidas sat down at the end of my bed, Enzo slid into the gap beside me and and the railing of the bed. This was getting scary. I don't think I was going to like what they were about to say. 

"We are your real family. You were stolen from us just after you were born because someone mixed up the names on your bassinettes, so we were told that you passed away, when the people who took you, their sister died, not you" 

That was one way to drop the bombshell. 

"So, this entire time I have been made believe that the people I called my siblings were not actually my siblings?" maybe that was why they treated me the way they treated me. 

Because they knew that I wasn't actually theirs. I looked more like these people around me, and just maybe, my siblings knew that. That's why they didn't love me; that's why they neglected and abused me all those years. 

 I didn't know I was in shock or that my eyes were slowly closing due to the medication being increased, but what I did know was this. 

"We've got you, lil Florence" 

---

thoughts? sorry for the shorter chapter