19. If It Started Differently

- Helios Loukanis - 

- Helios Loukanis - 

I make enemies wherever I go, so why was standing here, above the people I had just murdered, been any different to any other mission that I had gone on? Was it the fact that I knew that they had all had a life outside of the one that they had been trapped in for years or that some of them had tried to run away from the life they were about to get into? 

Was it because I couldn't get the image of the sister I could have had but didn't have and I could see the picture in the man's wallet, showing that there was more to their family; they had two daughters, one that looked similar to the sister I had right at my fingertips, but still let her leave. 

There was much more that I should have done, but I just let it all go. I let her be drowned, shamed and humiliated not by the people that should have loved her and given her the best childhood, but by the people that were supposed to be potential friends of hers. I should have done more for her. 

 I should have spoken to her as a little girl, not let her grow up alone, without at least one brother-figure in her life. Just someone that she could turn to, and maybe her life may not of been as hard as I knew that it was. I could have been a better person, but that just was not who I was; I hadn't been brought up to be a good person, I was trained to be a bad person. Someone who committed crimes without people knowing. 

I was supposed to be seen as hating on everyone that hated me. Everyone saw me as the boy that hated his life, and maybe I did. If I knew what my feelings were and how to express them, maybe I would understand that all the hatred I had in my heart, was because I was hated all of my life by the same people that had hurt the closest person I had of being my little sister. 

"Helios" a voice whispered in my ear piece, making me sigh. I left the people I knew that were parents to three children, surrounded by their own blood, as I walked out, setting the place on fire. I really hoped that someone would not do it to me, and my family, but sometimes, I wonder, what would it feel like, knowing that this could have been the way that my parents died, and that I didn't end up being tied with the Anagnos. 

Both of our families are equally as twisted and there is nothing that we can do that changes the way that people perceive our families. I wish that sometimes, people saw me for me. Florence, or as I had known her, Thalia, had always been seen as herself, not an Anagnos nor a Loukanis. I had started the chants my friends and I made when she was in middle school and I was senior at the time, telling everyone in the school that she was not related to me, and she was the cause of my parents death. 

But now that I thought about it all, she had nothing to do with it and neither did I. I had been forced into something that she was lucky enough to be left out of and protected by her real family. She did not deserve the life we had given her, and I know that I am very much at fault for the way we treated her. 

"Helios, what the fuck are you doing?!" a second voice spoke, as I scuffed my feet away from the crime scene, climbing back over the fence. I picked my pace up as I could hear sirens coming in closer to the perimeter.