Chapter 1

"Clint Barton!" You boasted, arms open as you walked down the hall of your apartment complex.

"Y/n." He nodded in a greeting, keeping his hands stuffed in his pockets.

"No hug? Wow Barton, straight through the heart." You did the actions of pulling back an arrow before letting it go with a low whistle, holding your heart in faux offense.

"As much as I love you kid, absolutely not."

"I'll let it slide only because you said you love me," you rocked back and forth on your feet, holding your hands innocently in front of you, "Anyways, what was so important that you flew all the way from Manhattan to see me?" He looked down to his feet, laughing lightly knowing you weren't going to like what he had to say. You studied him, tilting your head in the process until he let out a breath, looking up to meet your eyes.

"We need you back on the team." Your mood dropped, rolling your eyes at him when you became serious.

"Absolutely not, save it Clint, I've told you I'm done with all of that mess." You dropped your hands to your side and walked off down the hall, stopping at your door not sparing him a second look when you stepped inside.

You locked yourself in, knowing he was definitely coming your way when you heard his footsteps follow behind you. "Go away Barton!" You called out when he knocked on your door. By this time you were seated on the couch, tv on as your favorite show played.

"Y/n, let me explain." You heard the desperation in his voice and you fell silent, knowing you could never accept to go back there after what happened, but you were always one to hear out an explanation when it was offered.

Cursing to yourself at being so forgiving, you stood from the couch and took your precious time in walking to the door that was 20, at most, steps away from where you were seated. "40 seconds," you looked down at the watch that you didn't own before pointing at him and saying, "go."

He rolled his eyes at you and you told him he was down to 38, he knew you were serious so he began talking. "Banner has been working on this new tech thing, like a machine that can duplicate him to create illusions and as you were one of the smartest when it came to mechanics he needs your help because it's all gone haywire. And we may also need you for a very important mission." He let the last part out quickly, knowing this would be the main reason you turned it down.

"Send Bruce my thanks because we all know I'm much more advanced with technology," You pursed your lips, pretending to think before you quickly smiled brightly, "but he can get Tony to do it so nope!" You went to close the door, his foot blocking you from sealing it.

"We lost him, Y/n." Silence filled both sides of the door and you heard him sigh, "We're still your family." 

"Not after what they did to me, Clint." Your voice was the same as he's level, slowly opening the door looking at him with a half smile, ignoring what he had said about the billionaire which you had to admit stung you. r

"Wanda misses you, she talks about you all the time." He smiled at you softly, a light shrug lifting his shoulders.

"I can't trust her over the feeling of loss, Barton"

"Her and I were the only two who sided with you, Y/n. Would you at least consider it for us?" His voice held hope as he studied your expression, searching for any sign of a 'yes'.

"I'll think about it, but I'm leaning more over to a no." You told him, closing the door not wanting to hear another word from him as you made your way back to your couch. Putting your feet over the armrest you pressed play and continued watching your show.

If you were being honest with yourself, you knew you weren't going to help them, you didn't want to help them. You had no reason to help. But that feeling of guilt flooded your stomach, twisting it in painful ways as it tried to trip you into doing something for others. Because you always did, you knew you would always put anyone before yourself and you had done that many times before for the Avengers, right up until they used that fact about you and betrayed you, believing you would let them.

If they had talked to you about it, before acting it out, you would have forgiven them because, as Clint said, they were your family. Just not anymore.

The days passed by, your mood dropping below zero when you remembered Clint's arrival. You had to do something, but you couldn't give them your all. You couldn't. Clint knew this and you were taken aback when he even considered asking you. He knew all the hurt your previous team had brought you yet he came seeking your help anyway.

Walking down the streets of Sydney, you headed into where you worked. A beautiful cafe on the Main Street, decorated in shades of pink and blue, the name colored in white, its paint having no damage to it due to its well kept maintenance. The owner, Mr Doyley, was a kind, humorous old man, his near-white hair always kept neatly on his head, a cute red and white bowtie to go with his white shirt and black pants; everyone loved him, no one ever had a reason not to.

Mr Doyley spent so much of his time caring for the cafe, that once was shared with his late wife, and much more of that time was providing the best services for his customers. You loved Mr Doyley as he was like a father to you.

As soon as you stepped foot in the building, the bell chiming above your head when you opened the door, you felt a wave of sadness wash over you as you held your uniform in your hands, folded neatly with you name badge displayed on top.

Mr Doyley saw this and he frowned deeply, his eyebrows crinkling together as you walked up to him with a sad smile. "Y/n, leaving me so soon?" He chuckled to lighten himself up, taking your uniform from your hold.

"I'm sorry, I have a... family thing back in the states."

"I hope it all goes well for you kid, you were the best I had!" He smiled sweetly at you, and you returned it, cursing the Avengers for taking away your freedom once more, "Take care of yourself."