Chapter 11

Truth be told, you enjoyed the hours you spent with Kate. You didn't show it as much as you felt it but she caught onto it when you silently cheered with a smile on your face when she made the tower tumble over. Sure, she may have done it on purpose just to finally see you smile and be so happy at something so small, but she wouldn't allow that part to be known to you.

She liked you smiling, always being so locked away around everyone, so unreadable and just straight up angry, she liked seeing you this way. The same way her heart did when it would speed up at the sight of your smile. She knew it was because you were happy about winning, but that small part of her held hope that it was because you had company; Her company.

"Ha!" You laughed, throwing your arms up in a cheer, "I win! Again! You so suck at this, Bishop." You smiled widely, your hands already going to rebuild the tower for the hundredth time in the night.

"That's so not fair!" She huffed, leaning back on her hands with a groan but secretly smiling just like she had been doing for the past 2 hours, "are you not bored of this?" she questioned with a light chuckle.

"Nope." You beamed, your eyes never leaving the blocks as you stacked them carefully on top of each other before you paused, you smile fading slightly as you looked up at her, "are you?"

"No, because I'm going to kick your ass at this." She rubbed her hands together before she shook them, forcing herself to get into the game which made you laugh at the ridiculous sight.

"You are such a weirdo."

After about another 6 games, the two of you grew tired of Jenga and moved on to a puzzle that was at the bottom of the game pile you had. The picture on the box displayed a Robin sitting on a snowy branch, the box crinkled from the amount of years you had it and you questioned yourself why you even brought it all over the world with you whenever you moved countries but you guessed it was one of those small items you could never seem to get rid of, even if said item never got used or even looked at. But it came in use as the two of you sat, completing the borders of the puzzle first, silence in the air as both of your faces held a strong look of concentration.

The knock on the door made your head perk up, looking between the door and Kate with a questionable look, not expecting company. "Y/n! Hey!" The woman beamed, a small child at her feet, maybe 3 or 4 years old.

"Hey... Camille." You forced yourself not to groan at the sight, in respect for the child that had already ran into your apartment and began playing with anything the little girl could get her hands on.

"No, no, don't touch that," You heard Kate rush out from behind you which made you whip your head around to see the little girl running around with your retractable blade, "silly, that's something very dangerous, okay?" You heard Kate tell her and you sighed, looking back to her.

"Are you going to stop her from trashing my apartment or..." you didn't have to finish the sentence, knowing the first part was enough to get it through to her that you were displeased with her.

"No, actually," She smiled innocently, holding two bags out in front of her for you to take, "You can. I need you to watch her for a week or two tops, I won't be long. Hugeee work business in France, very complicated with very little time." Her smile never left her lips as you stared back at her, the furthest from amused.

"No, I'm not a babysitter Cam. I have my own shit to be dealing with." You told her as you crossed your arms shaking your head.

"It's not really a choice, Y/n. She's your niece after all." She shrugged with a smug smile on her face, the all too familiar one she used to give you when she got her way with your parents when you were kids.

"I don't- I can't be dealing with... that." You gestured to the kid that was now jumping up and down on your couch as Kate looked at you, a small, apologetic smile on her face when she couldn't get her to stop. "How did you even find me?"

"Oh you know, it's not hard to lose you little sis." She patted your shoulder and placed the bags inside your door before turning and leaving with a little wave.

"What a way to leave your daughter, now bye's or nothing." You grumbled, closing the door with a sigh.

You started work tomorrow and there was no way you were taking her with you, like they would allow that anyway. And besides work, you had the Clint and Yelena situation going on and involving a child was not something you would allow yourself to do, because who would?

"Who was that?" Kate asked you, seated on the floor with her legs crossed as she held onto her ankles.

"My sister." You told her plainly, running your hand down your face with a groan when the little girl, whom you didn't know the name of or had even met before despite being your only niece, ran around the apartment from room to room with loud laughs. "God I hate kids." You sighed and followed her into your bedroom where you picked her up and took her back to the living room. "Sit," you told her when you placed her on the couch, "now stay." You pointed your finger at her with raised eyebrows, her big brown eyes watching you with curiosity as she smiled up at you innocently.

"She's not a dog." Kate laughed, coming to stand by your side.

"Then stop her from acting like one." You forced a smile at her and began to walk away when the girl jumped down from the couch, pulling on the sleeve of your sweater which caught your attention.

"Up." She told you, holding her hands out when her fingers started wiggling.

"Aww, look at her, she's so cute!" Kate cooed as she looked at the girl who was now sitting on your hip after you picked her up.

"Don't ever let me hear you say that again."

"Stop with your moodiness, it affects kids." She scolded lightly when she tickled the girls sides, making her squirm and giggle in your arms. "What's your name?" She smiled in awe at the girl when she covered her mouth with both her tiny hands to stop herself from laughing.

"Amaya." She replied shyly, burying her face into your neck when her tiny, chubby cheeks heated up.

"And how old are you, Amaya?" The raven haired girl asked in the tone you would usually use when you spoke to kids, you know, the baby voice? You get it.

"Four." She replied with a little giggle which made Kate smile, but instead of looking at Amaya, she looked at you.