Chapter 24

As the hotel doesn't allow pets, Lucky had to stay in the States with Jacob until you had moved into your own place, ready to take him in once more for the final time.

"Are we thinking apartment, house, cottage, what?" You asked Kate, scrolling through a website with places to rent, already knowing which one you would go with but wanted more of an idea what Kate was thinking.

"What was the one you showed me, the one with the crazy looking surroundings?" She questioned, laying on her stomach beside you as she watched you scroll through the listings.

"That was just a house, Kate." You chuckled, not taking your eyes off the screen.

"Houses are so different here," she mused, her eyebrows threading together in thought, "give me that." You laughed at her when she snatched the computer from you, bringing it in front of her.

"You're gonna break it, y'know." You told her, poking at her side as you sat, legs crossed beside her.

"This one looks nice," she moved the computer so you could see, ignoring what you had just said as she did.

"Maybe a bit too busy." You thought and she moved it back, thinking for a moment before she shrugged, agreeing with you.

The two of you spent over an hour looking for a place, arguing a little when the other didn't agree which made the process that much harder.

She had settled on a modern house, a bit out of budget but the two of you didn't mind, in the hills surrounding the city. It was away from busy traffic, a few neighbors down the road so you had your own privacy and not some people right next door. It was a good choice and the second you agreed with her she used your phone to call them, the reason being you had already changed your number to one that would allow calls in without paying due to the region.

They had some people viewing the house tomorrow so you booked in for the day after and they told you it worked perfectly and booked you in.

"Can we shave your head now? I've been thinking about it an awful lot." She wiggled her eyebrows from across the room where she had just come out of the bathroom.

"Kate, no. Come near me with a pair of clippers and you're never going to see me again." You warned, pushing yourself up to sit against the headboard, or really, to be able to jump out of the bed if she came near you with anything of the sort.

"Fine," she groaned, dropping her hands to her side before climbing onto the bed, sitting back on her knees beside you, "did you know Amelia Earhart designed a line of women's clothing? She was more than a pilot really, and she also modeled her own work. She was a literal icon."

"That was out of the blue," you giggled, shaking your head as you did before you added, "but no I didn't. I never spent much time researching her, only a few things here and there in high school." You shrugged, and she hummed in response.

"You know, she was my gay awakening. I was so obsessed with her as a child, my parents were concerned about how much I knew about her at such a young age but who could blame me? That woman was a walking- or should I say flying- legend." You laughed at her little speech and held out your hand so she could take it, before you pulled her into you. "Did you have any woman from history you liked?" She asked you as she adjusted herself to lay into you, her arm around your middle as her head went to your chest.

"Easily Emily Dickinson," (ha), you told her, nodding at the thought.

"I remember learning about her in school, I wasn't much of a fan but her work was great." You gasped, faux offense and she giggled at you.

"That is unacceptable, how could you not be a fan? Her work was beyond great." You scoffed, hiding your smile that she couldn't see because she wasn't able to see your face from where she lay but your tone gave it away easily.

"And they were best friends." She sighed and you laughed, shaking your head at her words. "You're going to go down in history one day y'know, I mean you already have, but hundreds years from now you'll still be talked about." You hummed, not knowing what to say to that, not really agreeing with her. You traced circles on her arm, letting her relax into you.

"I'm going to be the 'best friend'." She huffed a laugh in thought, and you peered down at her as best as you could, smiling to yourself at her words, "you should write a handwritten note, the words 'Kate Bishop is my girlfriend 2024, not a best friend' so anyone who researches you in the future gets the message." She made a gap with her fingers, moving them to the side like she was holding something when she spoke the words, making her actions clear.

"Girlfriend?" You questioned, a smirk on your lips before kissing the top of her head.

"Absolutely," she nodded her head slightly against you, "I couldn't have you as something else- ehh, maybe a wife, no, definitely a wife- you get the message." She shrugged her shoulders and you chuckled a little, letting your heart freak out inside your chest, knowing you finally had what you wanted. You had her before, but not in the way anyone would want her but now she was yours to keep and you were going to let the future historian know.

Best friends, ha, how stupid.