Chapter 18

"Stop moving." Yelena warned you, going impatient with you as she patched you up after you refused to go to the hospital.

If you wouldn't have worn your suit earlier tonight, you would definitely have some serious, life-threatening damage done to you but thanks to the modifications you added to it, the material could take most of the hits for you. Yes, it was an arrow, but your suit did its job by protecting you. "You should also know that next time your girlfriend shoots you with an arrow you push it out the other side, not rip it back out."

"It wasn't a standard arrow, dipshit." You smirked at the use of her usual name for people, she narrowed her eyes at you before finishing up with your bandages.

Luckily enough, the arrow Kate had used was something of a sleek, thin design. The end was a singular point, thinner than the rest of the arrow making it an easy entry on its target. This time that target was you.

It could have been worse, much worse, but the arrow itself and your suit had stopped you from any major injuries. One thing you were certain of was that you weren't going to give that girl the time of your day anymore.

Your phone lit up, a vibration loud as it spread through the table and you looked down at it, seeing who it was.

Clint: Hey kid, I know what your intentions were and I understand. I don't blame you and I know you weren't going to harm me in any way despite what I did to you because that's not you

"Don't you dare rep-" she cut herself off when you were already typing away your reply.

Y/n: I'm no liar, my intentions were to hand you over to Yelena and be done with the whole situation including everyone involved

Clint: I understand and I'm not blaming you, you did wha you thought was best.

Clint: How are you holding up?

Y/n: Oh please, I can withstand more than an arrow to the chest. Who do you think I am? You?

Clint: Very funny kid.

Although he was being sarcastic, you knew he was smiling behind his phone knowing that you were safe because although many things had happened with the two of you, he never stopped caring for your health and he made it known.

Yelena left not long after and you didn't bother to shower before you climbed in your bed, lying in the dark and finally, for the first time in months, letting everything get to you. From your past, going so far back that it felt like you were reliving the moments from when the avengers handed you over to Hydra, letting you be in their hold for 3 months with an unbearable amount of torture, up until one singular, frustrating, annoying, beautiful, kind girl that made you hate yourself for catching feelings for.

She may have talked a lot, which would usually have you clenching your jaw, she also may have had the worst jokes possible that weren't even laughable, and sure, she had the annoying trait of finding you at any given location, but you couldn't help but fall for those things about her. The way her eyes lit up when she talked about something that you found ridiculous was one of your favorite things about her, it was so simple yet made you smile each time you thought of it. You never really allowed her to see the bright side of you, not wanting to let your wall down, but you had been finding that so hard recently because of the effort she would always put in just to have one small conversation with you.

She didn't care that you never reciprocated the conversations, she didn't care how you hardly looked at her, she didn't care that you were always in your own world, but she wanted to see you constantly, each minute of every day, and she wanted to have those small conversations with you because it meant so much to her that you were even listening.

There was also a lot that you didn't notice about her because she was so good at hiding it. You never caught on to the times where she would look at you and smile softly to herself when she caught you zoning out, or the times where she would laugh at anything you said to stop Yelena from talking. To her, it was everything. To her, you were the main cause of her happiness even when you did nothing but ignore her.

That's what she would think anyway.

Yes, there may be things you didn't notice about her but there was a lot more you did see. Anytime the word 'lucky' was brought up, she would hide her smile whilst she thought about her furry friend with that name. Or when you were both with Yelena, she would always seem away from the conversation which you had just found out was due to Clint. The very first thing you noticed about her however, was how she would fidget with her bracelet when she was nervous yet she always did that small habit when the two of you were talking.

If you were able to choose your life, you'd start fresh, far away, another planet even, with Kate by your side talking your ear off. Because really, her voice was one of your favorite sounds.

You thought of her way too often and now you had to close off all possibilities because she saw you as the one thing you never wanted her to; the enemy.