Chapter 13

As much as you wanted to stay behind and chat with Pepper about everything you wanted to since it had been about 6 years since you last saw the woman, you had a job to get to.

She took Amaya, no questions asked, and you thanked her nonstop before driving Kate home and making your way to work.

They handed you your lanyard that would help spot you out, also to prove your identity for working there, and told you what your job was exactly. They set you a list, whilst being so welcoming and kind with you, and gave you a tour of which isle contained which genres.

The door to the public opened 30 minutes after that and people came in and out throughout the day. You started your job by placing returned books in their rightful places whilst you coworker, Jacob, scanned out some books.

Whilst it wasn't a large bookstore, there were still many places to take a seat and enjoy your reading, even the bright area in the far corner of the store for the kids that would come in with their parents was kept clean and neat. There was an elderly woman who had sat in said kids area, reading a book about a colorful elephant to the children who beamed up at her in excitement.

The sight was touching, seeing such bright children being so involved with stories, but you hated kids, apparently, so you ignored that feeling and finished placing books where they belonged.

You had many people come up to you that day, asking you where certain genres were and even some just talking to you about the latest book they had read after getting it from the bookstore. It was surprising to see so many people know the books like the back of their hand, getting into so much detail that you didn't even need to read them to know what happens to each character in what chapter.

Your shift ended 7 hours after that, the time being 3 pm, you had nothing to do other than pick Amaya back up.

You were removing your lanyard from around your neck and hanging it up in the staff room on the peg with your name above it. Lockers weren't necessary for a job like this as the staff room was only used at the start and end of each shift so the small pegs were enough for things like a coat, bag and of course, your lanyard.

Walking out of the staff room, making sure to close it with a click, you said your goodbye's to Pauline, another coworker who was rolling around a white book cart, filled with books of course, whilst she took them to where she needed them to be. "See you tomorrow." She smiled, walking past you as you nodded in response, finding it hard to return that smile.

"You really can't smile for anyone can you?" The amusement that laced in their voice, followed by a chuckle was enough to have you groaning to yourself as you made your way over to them by the door.

"Bye Jacob." You waved at him as he stood behind a computer that was placed on a large desk that sat by the front door to easily greet customers and take in their books they returned.

"Bye Y/n!" He smiled sweetly, his eyes not leaving his computer as he worked away on it.

You walked out of the door, slipping your hands into your coat when you stepped out into the cold.

"You said you liked coffee."

"I also said I like peace." You smiled cockily, fixing the sleeves on your coat as you walked.

"I am peace, so you like me." You scoffed at her words, glancing at her to see if she was being serious but only saw the proud smile that sat on her face. "Here." She held her hand out, a brown takeaway cup of coffee in it as she waited for you to take it.

"Thanks for this." You lifted it up slightly when you took it before bringing it to your lips, your eyebrows raising in surprise, "you remembered how I like it." You mused, following next to her as she seemed to know where she was going.

"Good memory." She shrugged, the smile still planted on her face.

"What have you been doing then Bishop?" You questioned and when she opened her mouth to say something you continued talking, answering for her, "I'll take it as 'nothing' because I haven't been there for you to follow."

"That is not true," She laughed, pushing you slightly as the two of you walked, "also how was it?"

"It was good, great even."

It wasn't much longer until you made it to your car and you weren't even surprised when you realized it was Kate that led you that way, at this point she seemed to know your every move.

You took the drive over to where you left Amaya with Pepper, ignoring how the long journey only seemed to get longer with Kate questioning every little thing you drove past.

You knocked on the door, being greeted with a young girl with dark hair, "hi!" she smiled brightly, swaying side to side with her hands clasped in front of her.

"Morgan, don't answer the door to st-" You heard Pepper call, cutting herself off when she saw it was you and Kate, "Oh, hey girls," she smiled and turned around, motioning for the two of you to come in. You shut the door behind you after letting Kate step inside and the two of you followed to where Pepper disappeared too, "sorry I was just," she circled her hands over the mess of flour on the counter.

"We made cakes!" Amaya cheered, holding out her creation.

"They made cupcakes," Pepper corrected with a little chuckle.

"Here, let me do all this, you can go sit down." You offered, already beginning to clean up whatever needed to be done.

"Are you sure?" She asked you, guilt already audible in her tone.

"It's the least I can do." You smiled at her and she returned it in a more thankful manner.

She left the kitchen, taking each of the girl's hands and walking out with them, replying to them with a high tone when they would say something to her. "I'm starting to feel you're just moody with me after that." Kate nudged your side with her hip, coming round to help you clear the kitchen counter from all the flour, sugar, cake batter and anything else that needed cleaning like bowls, forks, whisks, etc.

"Why are you still here? I thought Pepper took the kids?" You teased, a playful smirk on your lips and she snorted a laugh, pointing at you with a wooden spoon covered in batter.

"You lack many manners, Y/n." She told you, pointing the spoon at you accusingly, a playful glint in her eyes.

"What are you going to do with that? Cover me in batter?" You scoffed, moving past her to wash out the bowls and cutlery under the faucet.

"Now you said it," she thought for a moment, spinning around and chucking the spoon into the water making it splash on your clothes a little, "no." She smiled innocently, yet proud at her little action.