Chapter 4

You were once the light in every room, bringing all the fun and entertainment to the table, gaining laughs from each person inside as they watched you in complete awe. Everyone loved your presence, your ability to help anyone whenever they needed it, or the way you could gain a smile from anyone just by your bright and bubbly personality.

But that wasn't you anymore, you had been torn down time and time again that you no longer had those abilities, you no longer wanted them. You weren't the people pleaser you once were and you didn't take your time to care about it. Why should you when no one appreciates you anymore.

Clint had called dozens of times, texts received from Wanda, hoping to get a word back from you. But you weren't wasting your time with any of them anymore. Not this time around.

You were better than that, better than to let people use you as a doormat to be walked all over. You focused on yourself from each day forward, you didn't need to please anyone nor did you want to.

You were you and that was final. It doesn't matter what anyone thinks because you never have to explain your reasons to them. You let them look at you and grimace whilst you looked straight through them like they were never there.

If anyone from your past compared you to your old self, they'd straight up call you cold-hearted, but why does that matter? It doesn't and it never should.

Walking down the streets of Queens, you had much time to consider your choices and your first and main choice was to get yourself a job. So that's what you had been doing in the late hours of the morning just before afternoon broke out, you went from place to place, thinking whether the places would be a good fit for you and you had settled on a bookstore trapped between a small cafe and a drugstore.

If you wanted peace and quiet, what was better than a simple book store? You couldn't get any quieter than that and your love for books was one of the greatest loves you held. It fit you perfectly and you just hoped you fit them perfectly.

After you had handed your application form to one of the workers who would pass it onto the bookstore owner, you thanked them and left.

So that's where you were at now, walking with your hands stuffed in the pockets of your dusty green coat as the light drops of rain fell on your back as you watched others bring out their umbrellas or rush into stores to get out of the wet.

You didn't want to head home, if the apartment even fit into that category, so you found yourself seated in a diner that was almost filled with people who had rushed in from the soaking rain. You ordered a simple strawberry milkshake and took a seat by the window, silently embracing the emptiness that overpowered you.

You sipped your milkshake through the red and white striped straw, watching from under your eyelashes as each booth filled up with families laughing, hugging their children to keep them warm or over to the couples who sat facing each other, their eyes filled with love and care. You scoffed to yourself at how happy everyone was, even on a miserable day like this one. One table caught your eye in particular, a group of school girls laughing and squealing as they talked about their boyfriends and past parties they attended. You were young but you never understood the excitement of parties or even lovers.

You moved your eyes to the worker behind the register, watching as they counted money, worked around each other to prepare drinks whilst one would go into the chef's room, handing them orders of the customers. That was until your view got blocked by someone standing in front of you. You looked up at her in curiosity as she invited herself to take a seat.

"Hi." You told her simply, ignoring how she watched you with a smile on her face.

"Y/n L/n, what a pleasure." She put her hand over the table for you to shake but you didn't, only looked at her hand and up to her face, your expression blank. "Oh, do you prefer Ladyjade?" She mused, reaching out to take your milkshake from you.

"I don't know what you want but I'm not interested in giving you anything." She snorted a laugh before she sipped on the drink like she had paid for it herself.

"I think you are," She pushed the glass to the side and clasped her hands in front of her, leaning over the table a little, "You want the Avengers dead, no?"

" 'Dead'?" You breathed a laugh, "Oh please, I'd much rather them suffer than have it out easy."

"We are perfect!" She threw her hands in the air, a wide smile across her face and you looked at her in confusion, "Clint Barton fooled you, yes?" You nodded with pursed lips before she continued, "He killed my sister. We are going to have so much fun."

"Your sister?" You questioned, not knowing who this woman was in front of you.

"Natasha Romanoff."