Chapter 8

"Nooo, stay." Kate pleaded as she held onto your arm to stop you walking away from her door after you had dropped both her and Yelena off at her apartment; Having no idea where the only blond of the two lived. "Yelena, make her stay." She slurred, having too much to drink at the bar.

"Don't be a party pooper, L/n." She made her way over to you as you stood in Kate's doorway, grabbing your hand and pulling you inside. "Sit." She pushed you back a little so you would take a seat on the couch and that's what you did.

"I need to go home, shower, change, and sleep. The shenanigans." You explained, the sound of tapping being heard coming from Kate's bedroom.

"Lucky!" Kate beamed when she went over to the dog, leaning down as she pet him. You slumped back into the seat, huffing when you got ignored.

Truth is, you didn't want to be here and although said truth radiated off you, the two didn't care, enjoying your company too much to let you leave. You were the only one out of the three of you that was somewhat sober so you had the much better job by watching the two embarrass themselves in their drunken state.

You sat in silence as you studied the movements of the dancing girls and how Lucky would jump up at them, wagging his tail as he did. They pulled at your limbs, telling you to get up and join them but you stayed seated like the grumpy old man you were.

In the early hours of the morning, things had settled down with the two and Yelena had passed out on one of Kate's couches, snoring lightly with her hand drooping over the edge. Kate was still awake, as were you, and she offered to make you something for you to eat but you declined, telling her you'll get something in the morning.

"What happened between you and the avengers?" She asked in almost a whisper after a moment of silence, taking a seat beside you.

"I don't like details." You told her blandly as the room grew quiet, the only sound coming from the sleeping girl on the other side of the room. "You said something about Clint, how do you know that?"

"She told me." She shrugged, looking at Yelena for a moment.

"Okay, but why would you care about Clint?" You asked her, and she cleared her throat, not meeting your eyes.

"Childhood hero." It came out more like a question, but you weren't going to question it knowing she was still somewhat drunk from earlier.

You hummed in response, not knowing what else to say to her as you laid your head back when you began to adjust your legs into a more comfortable position. That of course being a manspread, the comfiest of them all.

You felt the couch moving under you, telling you she was moving too, most likely sitting back as she was previously sitting awkwardly on the edge of it.

The two of you talked, hardly, but words were exchanged, before she began falling into a deep sleep. The room now feeling empty to you as Yelena's snores grew louder whilst Kate's stayed barely audible. You had to get home as it was already 4 in the morning and you had your own things to deal with.

You went into Kate's bedroom to get her duvet from her unmade bed before you moved her legs carefully further onto the couch, covering her with her duvet. She had a throw sheet on the back of her couch so you used that to cover Yelena up before leaving the apartment, not forgetting to pet Lucky on your way out.

Driving home you phone buzzed in your pocket, making you furrow your eyebrows as no one you knew would be up at this time. "Hello?" You answered, holding it to your ear with your shoulder as you continued driving, completely forgetting about hands-free.

"Hey kid, we have a problem."

"Clint? Why are you up?" You questioned before making a right turn out of Kate's street.

"Couldn't sleep, I have some things I need to deal with."

"What 'things'," You asked curiously, your mind going right over to Yelena.

"A black widow assassin had been hired to kill me." He sighed and you stayed silent, "You there?"

"Sorry, say that again, service is bad." You lied, clenching your jaw.

"I said, a black widow assassin has been hired to kill me." He repeated before movement on the other side of the line was heard.

"Why would they want that?" You questioned with fake confusion in your tone, knowing exactly what the reason was. You still held a grudge towards Clint, even after his apology but as much as you wanted to believe him, you just couldn't.

"It's about Nat, they think I kille-"

"I'm gonna need to call you back, I've got bad service here." You lied once more before hearing him say something but you didn't catch it as you had already ended the call.

After a longer drive than you had hoped, you had pulled up outside of your apartment complex before heading inside.

Throwing your phone on the side by the stove, you opened your fridge to get a bottle of milk, ready to pour yourself the best snack for any time. Cereal.

Pulling out your favorite brand of said cereal, you poured yourself a bowl and put everything back before making your way over to your bed. Grabbing your computer from your dressing table, you sat yourself down and opened it up, clicking on 'Netflix' to play something whilst you ate because you always had to eat with some background noise.

The night turned out to be more eventful than planned but you had suspected something to come of it as it was Yelena after all but you didn't expect it to involve Kate. The two fought like cat and dog and you hoped to everything and anything that you would soon catch a well deserved break. Like your life back In Sydney.

Your life back in Australia was much more simple and was the perfect example of a break and sure, it may not have been the longest time since you moved back to the States, but the break was still something you very much needed.