Chapter 22

You had been in London for less than an hour, arriving alone as Kate had booked a ticket for the day after yours to have everything of her own sorted as she didn't have much warning about it. You hadn't had the time to look around at the surroundings, you were too focused on getting to the hotel you had booked before you could allow yourself to settle into the new city.

You weren't going to be staying in the middle, busy place of London, your plan was to stay in a hotel for as long as you needed until you found a place in the countryside on the outskirts of the city itself. When you had done your research, you had seen how beautiful the villages were and that was what made you choose England over France.

They seemed so peaceful, almost like they had been built for a set of a fairytale, bungalows of all sorts in, what seemed like, the middle of nowhere whilst still being close enough to the city that if you wanted to have a bright day out, it wouldn't be too far of a drive.

"Hello, how may I help you?" The man behind the desk asked, his accent thick and his tone cheery as he stood to face you eye to eye, although he was an easy 6 inches taller than you were.

"I've booked a room for two," you greeted and he nodded his head understandingly, "It's under L/n."

"Okay, just give me a second," he dragged out the last word as he had already begun to move to the computer, searching its contents to find your room number that was held under your name, "ah, yes. Y/n L/n, lovely to meet you. Here's your key, you're on the third floor in room 304." He smiled sweetly, handing the key over the desk to you.

"Thank you." You smiled, taking the key gratefully as you said your goodbyes, heading for the elevator.

Your luggage had already been taken to your room, most had been left behind when you decided you really didn't need them as you would supply everything you needed when you arrived, your stuff going to what little friends you had or into a homeless shelter that had caught your eye after walking past it a few times on your days out.

You entered the room, letting the door close itself behind you as you looked around at the spacious room you had. The windows were large and tall, the light seeping through the closed curtains until you made your way over and opened them with one swift motion.

The view wasn't breathtaking to say the least, you could only just about see the busy roads and tall building from where your room was located but it was more than enough for you, knowing you had no intentions of placing a seat in front of said window whilst you stared in awe at the big city, that was just. . . weird lets say, in the nicest way possible as to not judge whoever would do that. Still weird however.

Anyway, you unpacked some of your clothes and hung them in the closet on the provided coat hangers that the hotel service provided, being sure to leave half of the closet for Kate when she did arrive.

Many hours later, you found yourself sitting at a bar, drinking whatever it was that you felt like ordering in the moment. The late night of London giving you a cold chill, not expecting to have such a huge temperature change when you wore black skin tight jeans, a red low cut shirt and a simple black jacket over top, pulling it all together with some black boots.

You should have worn a coat but you were hoping that if you were to drink enough, the cold wouldn't be a bother to you, or even if one of the loud men would call out to someone to turn the goddamn heating on.

"Holy shit," a man breathed out from beside you, taking a seat on the stool one over to our left as he slowly placed down his drink, watching you in shock, "you're that avenger girl." He spoke in disbelief.

Seriously? Your first night here and you were already being recognized. You knew the whole world had heard about the avengers but that didn't stop you from feeling somewhat shocked that someone here knew you.

By your face.

If anything, you'd expect people to know you by your name after hearing some stories about the avengers, but when it came down to your look, so far from where the avengers originated, it was definitely something to be surprised about.

"I think you're mistaken," you lied, smiling a little behind your glass as you brought it to your lips.

"No, no, you're her! Lady..." he trailed off, snapping his fingers to try to get the last part into his mind before he made one last click, pointing at you, "Ladyjade!"

"I've heard stories," you shrugged, still not meeting the man's gaze. He was most definitely drunk, you could tell by the way he slurred his words a little but why else would he be in here if it wasn't to drink? "Still got the wrong girl I'm afraid."

"No, you're definitely her," he nodded to himself, not even caring you hadn't looked at him once since he had sat down, "listen, I have some crazy respect for what you did- what all of you did. That's some crazy, badass shit." He laughed to himself, finishing the little amount that was left in his glass before adjusting himself on his seat so his whole body was now facing you.

"How are you so sure?" You turned to him, a challenging smile on your face and that's when you realized he wasn't much older than you, three years max. His skin was untouched, not a wrinkle in sight. His eyes a dark brown and his hair a lighter shade of brown but matching his eyes perfectly, and his eyebrows were very well kept. You hummed slightly to yourself. You liked that.

"I've seen so much about you, I've done my homework on each avenger and I think the hours I've spent doing that would come in handy when I'm face to face with one."

"Homework? What are you? 12?" You scoffed with a smile, amused by the man in front of you.

"25, not 12, I can assure you that." He smiled at you, his eyes hooded slightly with his drunken state and you narrowed your eyes at him, nodding slowly.

"Y/n." You offered out your hand and he took it, shaking it without hesitation.

"I know," he continued shaking your hand eagerly and you tilted your head slightly, confused as to why he hadn't yet let go but he soon cleared his throat, retracting his hand, "I'm Daniel, but everyone calls me Dan. I'm Dan." His words were quick, but he soon gathered them as he settled on his own name.

What a strange first interaction.