Chapter 9

You had checked my emails first thing in the morning as it would be around any day now that you would get accepted or declined for the job in the bookstore. It had been a while, sure, but they did make that clear when you first brought It up, something to do with slight renovations, less customers and nearly a full staff. The hopes weren't as high as you usually would have them but it's always best to be ready for disappointment.

you scrolled through my emails, hoping to see something from the bookstore and you stopped scrolling when you saw its name. You wasted no time in opening and skimmed through the email until reading the words, 'We are delighted to inform you that we have reviewed your job application and have decided you would be a much needed addition to Perusal Downtown,' You didn't read much else as you played back on the bed, a sigh of relief leaving your lungs.

The one step at a new, normal-ish, life was on route.

They had sent a schedule, the times you start being displayed on the screen and you made sure to write them on a sticky note and stick it to your mirror, needing to remind yourself. The edges of your mirror were already full of papers of pink, green and some orange and yellow that you never take your time looking at but what could you say? You were forgetful and the color coded notes helped you. And let's not mention how your fridge turned out.

A buzzing in your pocket indicated you had received a message, groaning and taking it from the bedside table you unlocked it and opened the message.

Yelena: You left me.

Y/n: No way! Really??

Yelena: ha ha, very funny L/n.

Y/n: Why are you messaging me exactly?

Yelena: Get out with Clint. Quickly. He's here.

Y/n: On it.

After sending the last message, you dialed Clint's number and called him. He picked up pretty quickly and you told him to meet you so he could explain what was happening, a good excuse if you were to say so yourself.

It took him about an hour to tell you he was leaving, and you met him a bit away from your apartment in the busy streets of New York. He walked up to you with a soft smile, offering out his hand for you to shake and when you did he pulled you into a hug, "I'm so sorry Y/n." He told you and his hug told you everything; he was sincere.

"I've told you, I'm over it." You waved it off, pulling back from the hug once he did. "What is it you know about this assassin?" You asked once you stuffed your hands in your pockets, walking next to him along the sidewalk.

"Things have gotten serious, Laura and the kids are at home away from it all but I can't go home until it's finished. The most I know is I'm being targeted." He explained as he glanced over at you as you kept your sight in front of you.

"You know nothing about why?" You found that unbelievable as you remembered him saying something about Nat on the phone call before you hung up just the night before.

"I have my guesses but none make enough sense to be certain." He shrugged and you hummed, moving away from citizens as you walked, not wanting to bump into their shoulders and cause a huge scene. "The tower was sold." He changed the subject and you peered up at him for a moment.

"What am I supposed to do with that information?"

"The band's broken up, Wanda is untraceable, Cap has gone, Bucky has... I have no idea. Point is, the Avengers are no more." He let the last part out with a huff, looking over at you with a sad smile.

"I think it's about time really." You shrugged, telling him your opinion.

"Because they used you?" He mused, watching your side profile as the two of you continued walking before he opened the door of the hotel building, letting you in first.

"Partly, but mostly because it's about time they all got a life. They- ... We done everything we possibly could to save the world, it was bound to happen one day." You saw the way he hid his smile when you referred to yourself as part of the team, something you haven't done in a long time.

He nodded a greeting to the person behind the counter of the hotel before he led you over to the elevator. You watched as he pressed the third floor, keeping note of that if you ever needed it to give to Yelena.

"And this 'life' talk, what are you doing with yours?" He questioned, taking the keycard from his pocket and swiping it on his door until it opened, letting you both inside.

"I just got a job at a bookstore." You stated, walking over to the desk the room had and took a seat on the chair.

"A bookstore?" He repeated, taking his coat off and hanging it up, his back turned to you, "what interest do you have in books?"

"Oh come on Clint, you never saw my bookshelf back at the tower?" You questioned with a slight chuckle, your arms crossed over your chest as you swiveled on the chair.

"I never went in your room, no one really did unless it was Wanda and," He fell silent, turning to look at you and offering you a small smile before he took his spot on his bed.

"Natasha." You finished for him, a sad smile of your own as you stared down to the floor.

"You three were inseparable." He thought out loud, his voice quiet as he remembered.

You knew he was right, Natasha and Wanda were always the two you were closest with other than Clint but he never liked to go into your room, finding it disrespectful for a reason he never told you but thinking back to it, he never went into anyones room. He always had someone go in for them if he needed the person who was behind the door of said rooms.

He was always respectful of privacy, no matter how many times someone had told him he could enter whenever he wanted but he never did. Not even with Natasha. In a way you understood but for the time you were there, it was surprising to never see him in a room other than his own and you've never thought about that until it got brought up.