Chapter 12

"She's asleep." You stated quietly, leaning against the doorframe of your bedroom as you looked over at Kate who was continuing to complete the puzzle to busy herself whilst you were gone, putting Amaya to sleep.

"You didn't suffocate her, right?" She joked, her smile creeping at her lips when her eyebrow arched.

"Ha ha, very funny." You told her sarcastically as you pushed yourself off the door frame. You looked at your phone, not having a watch on your wrist, checking the time. 11:14.

"I should probably get going." She spoke when she noticed you checking the time, standing to her feet as she gestured to the door.

"You can stay if you'd like, I don't mind." You shrugged, heading to your right where the kitchen area was and taking out a glass from one of the cabinets.

"Are you saying that because you secretly need help with Amaya?" You could tell she was smiling cockily at you, even with your back turned to her and you scoffed.

"I don't think that's any secret." You told her honestly and she chuckled, coming over to stand next to you. "Want some?" You offered as you held up a carton of orange juice you had picked out from the fridge when you started to pout yourself a glass.

"Orange juice? Yuck." She pointed to her mouth as she made the actions, making sure her point got across and you laughed at her, finding it amusing.

"Is that a yes then?" You questioned, peering over your glass at her when you began drinking it.

"Was the whole... vomiting actions not enough?"

"I meant staying, weirdo." You shook your head, hiding your smile by turning around to place the juice cartoon back into the door of the fridge.

"Uhm..." She trailed off, watching the back of your head, not wanting to overstep her limits with you before she continued, "Sure, yeah, okay. Pfft, why wouldn't I want to." You looked at her over your shoulder, your eyebrow twitching up when you noticed how she was now blushing, moving her hands and trying to put on a cool stance.

"Way to play that one off, Bishop." You teased, walking past her with your glass in your hand and took a seat on the couch, noticing how she let out a breath when you had taken said seat.

The minutes passed, the conversations being somewhat there until you asked where Lucky was, to which she replied he was with one of her friends. You knew she wouldn't leave him on his own all night from the way that it was obvious at the amount she loved him, you didn't know why or even how she came across to having him stay with a friend but it was really none of your business to think about.

Amaya slept soundly in your bed, the little snores from her making you not wanting to enter the room in fear of waking her but you played it off like you didn't care when Kate brought her up to you or when you hesitated before stepping inside to grab a change of pajamas for both you and Kate since she obviously brought none of your own.

You offered her your bed and told her you'd bring Amaya to sleep on one of the couches but she looked at you like you were crazy for even thinking that. The two of you fought back and forth about her having your bed but you gave up when she was clearly winning the fight, the two of you planning to sleep on your couches for the night.

"Do you think Yelena is good with kids?" You pondered, thinking out loud and her gaze landed on you.

"I have a feeling she is but she will most definitely teach them... not so kid-friendly things along the way." She replied and you hummed in thought, thinking who would be the best person to leave Amaya with in the morning. "I could watch her." She told you when she gathered what you were thinking.

"Absolutely not, you have your own things." You told her, knowing that this fight was the one that you weren't going to let her win, no matter the circumstances.

"What? I'm great with kids!" She told you with a laugh and you looked at her, shaking your head 'no'.

"I think I know someone, they won't mind" you told her honestly, "plus, they know their way with kids so it'll work out just as well." You told her and she opened her mouth to say something but stopped when you gave her a look that told her you weren't changing your mind.

The night had come to an end when the two of you fell asleep. Kate was the first of the two of you to fall asleep, but you weren't far behind her. The night covered you both, not a single light left on in your apartment now and not even a street light peeking through your window when you had closed the blinds along with the curtains.

Kate stayed back a little in the morning, helping to change Amaya as you changed into your own clothes, something casual but enough to be acceptable at your new job. You started in two hours, 8am, which gave you little under an hour to drive Amaya to where you would be hoping to have her stay for the few hours you would be gone.

When you left your apartment, the small child on Kate's lap as you had no carseat for her after she was practically dumped on you the night before, without a single notice or even ten minutes to talk about it. She came with a few bags of clothes, a few of her favorite snacks which you made sure to hide, not allowing her to have too much intake on the sugary treats, and not a single toy.

You took note of that, noticing how quickly she became bored must have been caused by the lack of entertainment she had received from your sister and yet you still hated her after all this time, even from being kids.

"Y/n?" You smiled slightly up at the blond, shrugging your shoulders with a little chuckle, "you've gotten so big since I last saw you." You hugged them, letting them kiss the side of your head as their eyes welled up with tears. Missing this feeling somewhere deep down because they were the closest person who treated you like their daughter; More than your own parents ever could.

"Hey, Pepper."