Chapter 6

The weeks passed by at a slow, dragging pace, making this whole thing even harder for you. Yelena paid her visits here and there, checking how far you had gotten with your side of the task. She was good company, always cracking jokes where they would fit and the two of you soon grew to be somewhat friends.

She talked about all she had planned to do with your ex-friend, by the way she talked about it, it seemed like she wanted to kill him but never brought it up in conversation and got offended when you would ask her about her real intentions with him.

You were restocking your fridge with some grocery's you had bought earlier in the day until your phone lit up on the counter beside you.

You read it with furrowed eyebrows as it was a text from Yelena with an address with no further context so you stopped what you were doing and copied the address into your phone's browser.

"Rich, powerful... stuck up." You whispered to yourself as you scrolled through a website that held information of this building, they were holding an event tonight and you took that as the reason Yelena had sent you it.

You read through it carefully, needing to get everything right if you were going to show, which you were as it was Yelena's request, and read the very last sentence of the page, Invite required on entry -Bishop Management.

As if on cue, another message from the blond rolled through,

Yelena: You're my plus one 😘

You rolled your eyes with a small smile, wondering how she had even found out about this, or even how it would connect with Clint, but she was Yelena after all. The woman who randomly turned up in the diner, telling you your own name and speaking as if she had known you her whole life.

Her ways were questionable, but if it gets her around then it works.

You finished your restock and headed to the bedroom to pick out an outfit for this event, you didn't have many formal things with you but the black jumpsuit you had packed all the way back in Australia was the main thing that caught your eye so you went with that.

You still had hours but you were always one to have everything ready on time, never being late to anything.

You showered and changed into something comfy to lounge around in, already under some throw blankets on the sofa as you ate a pot of pasta you had made yourself when you grew peckish. Some random sitcom was playing but you found it quite interesting, already having spent the past hour watching it as everything around you blurred out.

You knew something was going to happen at the event, whether that was something simple like information or something more major like the building falling apart as soon as you stepped inside. You couldn't quite decide but you knew Yelena had something planned.

You could tell the two were sisters in some ways, not as much as you would possibly think if you were to see them side by side, but from knowing Nat for as long as you did, a lot of her was shown in her younger sister and you found comfort in that knowing she was the closest you were ever going to get to having the redhead back.

"Please stop with that face, you look so grumpy," Yelena huffed as you walked up the red carpet that lead to the front door, "do this," She lifted her lips into a wide smile before dropping her expression and walking in front of you.

You rolled your eyes and followed the woman to the doors where a large suited man stood, checking over everyones invites before allowing them inside. When it came to Yelena, she gestured to you and told him you were her plus one and he nodded firmly, allowing her inside without spearing her any words.

"So talkative." Her voice was filled with sarcasm as she made the action of jazz hands when the two of you entered the large room, people filling each area in their formal wear and straight postures.

"Care to explain yet?" You asked when the two of you stopped dead by the door, looking around at all the rich people inside.

"Nope!" Her tone was higher this time and she began to walk over to the bar where she ordered the two of you a drink.

You waited around, not taking any interest in the people around you as you sipped your drink in silence, ignoring the blond when she tried to start a conversation. "You are so boringgg." She sighed, throwing her head back with a groan.

"Is that you telling me we came here for fun?" She narrowed her eyes at you as she smirked.

"Partly, everything is fun with me involved." She boasted as she studied your serious, unamused expression before she slumped her shoulders, "You need to fix that seriousness," she paused as she looked around like she was trying to find someone in particular, "now where is that hostess." She squinted her eyes in search and you ignored what she was doing, "Ah! There she is!" She rose from her seat and jogged over to said hostess which you didn't take any interest in.

"Can I get you a refill, miss?" The man behind the bar asked which caught your attention.

"I'm good, thanks." You gestured to your glass that was nearly empty but you didn't come here to drink, he nodded and went over to someone who had approached.

"Good, now sit and talk. Y/n, this is Kate, Kate, Y/n. Bye!" She left quicker than she arrived and the girl looked at you, chuckling nervously when your eyes met hers.

"I'm sorry, she wouldn't let it go." She apologized, an embarrassed blush spreading over her cheeks.

"Don't be, I know what she's like." You told her, finishing the last of your drink, "You know her?" You questioned, your eyebrow arching with the words.

"N- yes, yeah... No? Kinda? it's complicated." She smiled awkwardly as she moved in her seat.

"I know what that's like." You told her with a small sigh.

"You look nice by the way," you tilted your head at her a little, your eyes narrowing on her, "I mean you always look nice, obviously. You're Y/n, when don't you look nice? You're pretty, I'm trying to say you're pretty. I'm talking a lot, I'm sorry. I'm nervous. Why do you make me so nervous?" She let out an awkward laugh as she rubbed the back of her her neck, "I'm gonna go, see you ar-"

"You look nice too," You stopped her and she slowly sat back down, her cheeks filling with heat, "And you're pretty, it's also cute the way you do that," You lifted your hand gesturing at something but when you realized you couldn't gesture to her words you continued, "that talking in excessive amounts. I find it adorable."