Chapter 14

"No kid, correct?"

"Yes, Yelena, no kid." You huffed as you set the bag of groceries on to your kitchen side, your cell held closely to your face using your shoulder as support, "I'm really busy right now-"

"I don't care," she cut you off and you could hear her chewing something crispy on the other side of the line. You rolled your eyes as you imagined her sat back, legs propped up on something as she ate a family sized portion of chips. "You've had her for a week, I am so happy the little brat has gone!"

"That's the only thing I can agree with you on." You began to unpack the paper bags that were overflowing with food and anything else you had bought, unloading them onto the side to make life easier.

"So, I will be over tonight about," she hummed in thought, most likely tapping her chin as she did but you couldn't see her to confirm or deny that, "10 Pm, we will locate Barton, you have meal with him, fancy fancyyy, and I come in and kill him!"

"Yelena, we are not killing him"

"No not you, me kill, dipshit."

"No, you're not killing him and if you try otherwise I can just expose your plan and get him out of here." You warned her and she gasped loudly, clearly offended by your threat.

"That is so rude, Y/n L/n!"

"Tell me you won't kill him."

"He killed my sister." Her tone was more serious this time around and you sighed at her words and used your brain by putting your phone on speaker and setting it on the side.

"Nothing's bringing her back," she could hear how your tone held something of pain so she didn't fight it, "she was my friend, y'know? I miss her too," you paused, taking in reality as you mustered up the next words, "but she's not coming back."

"I don't like that tone you're using." You heard what sounded like a sniffle from her end and you ignored the tears that began forming over your own eyes, not letting it get to you.

"Conclusion being, killing Clint won't bring back Nat." You cleared your throat, busying yourself once more by butting the rest of the things away.

Night came round and you showered before even thinking about getting into your bed, not allowing yourself to sleep with all the day's weight that needed to be washed off you.

You climbed into bed after changing into some pajamas, some red plaid pants with a black band tee that you used to paint the walls back in your house in Sydney, before turning your phone off to sleep.

It was still early, about 8:09 from when you last checked, but you didn't care as you wanted your sleep so desperately.

"Oh, Y/n!" You heard a voice call after your front door swung open, hitting the wall as it did.

That's when you realized you were most definitely not getting that sleep you wanted as you had something to be doing tonight. It had completely slipped your mind not even 20 minutes after the call ended all those hours ago and you had been going about your day like you weren't really going to do what you signed up to all those weeks ago.

"You have 2 hours until we leave." She switched on the light for your bedroom making you groan as you threw the covers off yourself, going over to your closet to change out of your ever so comfortable clothes. Oh how you wanted nothing more but to stay in them right now. You could strangle her right now for making you do this.

She watched you with a smile on her face like she hadn't just forced you to get out of bed, she didn't use the words but the light was enough, and nodded in agreement when you held out an outfit to her.

After changing, you were now seated in your living room with Yelena as she sang way too loudly to the Friends theme song whilst you scrolled through your phone, blocking out the racket she was making.

Thankfully, not long after that, pizza had arrived which made her stop talking because she was too busy eating her food. You had messaged Clint about meeting for a meal later, which he agreed to, so you only had one slice, not wanting to be too full by the time said meal came around.

Sure you felt guilty about what was to come, but what he and the rest of the team had done you really shouldn't feel anything of the sort. Your phone buzzed in your lap and Yelena peered over at you, her head high as she tried to see who it was that had messaged you but whined when you sat back, making it impossible for her to see.

Unknown: Ok so, I got your number from your job this morning because you never gave it to me before, that sounds so creepy now I'm actually saying it... Anyway I had to get it one way or another and instead of asking you I thought where else is better than the literal place you work! Point of this is, hey!

Y/n: I have no name yet I feel like this is Kate

Unknown: How's you guess?

You chuckled, clicking her number to save her into your contacts as you ignored the blond's curious glances that came your way.

Y/n: The unnecessary amount of words

Kate: I was nervous! And besides there's not even that many.

Y/n: I counted 57 words when 1 would have done the job, plus a name so make that 3

Kate: There's actually 59...

Y/n: You got the point.

After receiving another reply from her, you clicked your phone off and set it aside, furrowing your eyebrows at Yelena who was watching you with a mischievous smile, "What did you do?" you questioned her knowingly to which she just shrugged before saying,

"Invited your girlfriend over, you should have seen that smile on your face!" She laughed, pointing at you and you ignored her teasing as you were too focused on the first part.

"You invited her over even though we have some serious shit to be doing in the next hour?!"