16 | window; what hides under gloves

[Message from Lukiyo!]

Hello! I just want to say, to warn I suppose, there are some implications of child abuse in this chapter, and also occur again in future chapters! Although I do want to write a fluffy, romantic tale... there are also darker themes, so here's just reminding. ^^

I've seen some comments, some suspicions... but la~ everybody is happy, everything is happy, this is a happy story! (but do be warned here, and for the future)

Thanks so much~ Happy reading, and have a wonderful evening/morning!

———xxx———

It was particularly cloudy, overshadowed grey casting a sorrowful air upon the working town. And in the shaded alleys, it was all the more dark with children in scrubs scurrying to their corners, and wallow, bony figures perched against the walls.

Kaden tugged his hood lower, narrowing his eyes as he made his way through, careful to avoid any slippery hands that sought money or food.

Providing these people of the slums wasn't something he refused—but helping one person would gather a crowd, and he could hardly afford to survive, much less feed the entire slums.

Not to mention, he knew the way things worked.

Take and never give. Helping somebody here didn't guarantee they wouldn't be the next to stab you in the back.

Nobody would happily thank their provider, shed tears of joy over scraps of food. No, that person would become a target for all to steal from, until they themselves were dragged into the chaos of this filthy society.

Some people left this lifestyle from sheer trickery, false smiles of politeness that stole away the sympathy from the rich.

It wasn't unlawful or wrong. It was a means of survival.

Similar to what Kaden had done, though he didn't recall ever approaching a noble. There wasn't much to be said about his youngest years, hardly a fog of memory.

He'd held a disdain to the rich who flaunted themselves in fancy clothing, keeping up to latest trends even as their feet squirmed uncomfortably in tight shoes, or their corsets were pulled painfully taut. 

But he did remember the day that Reed's outstretched hand reached out towards him, beating with the warmth of sunlight that dared to shine in his darkest days. It was a hand that offered to him, day after day, night after night. 

He remembered the hope that bubbled childishly in his chest.

He remembered thinking that the young noble, with a soft smile, was more beautiful than the statues sculpted by the most skilled hands.

Kaden shook his head, seething to himself. It was pointless of thinking back on useless things, when he hardly knew what an actor that man was. Reed had been searching for a dog he could tame, not a brother he could love.

Then, a bundle ran up to him, shaking him away from his thoughts.

Kaden glanced down at the smiling boy, and ruffled the tangled golden locks. A day prior, he had visited the town to grab some school supplies and encountered the boy again.

This time, he arranged a meeting in the slums, unable to resist the hopeful, puppy-like gaze of a child who had nothing.

However, tiny speckles had formed on Arlo's arm, spreading into dark bruises.