31 | division; the definition of beauty

Skye's determination to spend time with Kaden increased by a tenfold since the latter escaped by a hair's breath the previous time, being too occupied to have anymore unfortunate encounters with the sunny boy.

"Kaden! I've been trying to find you for ages now, but we've been missing each other." exclaimed the youth mournfully as he ran up to the other with a bright gaze.

A book was clutched within his arms, long and looser sleeves that technically went against the proper dress code. However, the teachers weren't overly strict and Skye had protested to being more comfortable in looser clothing.

In his exact words, he felt safer without being confined in tight clothes.

At times, Kaden was curious how the mind of the energetic youth worked, leaping from emotion to emotion at such high turnover rates.

He smiled weakly. "...Skye. I've been busy lately, that's why."

It was difficult to run away from this little brother of his, to say no or to hate the wide spread smile that dripped with pure naivety. But ignorance could be both a blessing and a sin.

"We don't need to go far! Let's go on a walk."

"Skye—"

"Please." begged the youth, his large eyes limpid and pleading. Similar to a small animal that wanted to play, spoiled and free.

Kaden dimly thought to the cat that had followed him all the way back. There were a few more procedures before it could be released, since creatures brought back had the risk of being far too dangerous for a student to handle.

The cat-like creature had tilted its head, meowing softly at Kaden as its nails clung to his shirt. It squealed when being pulled away, putting on an act of a dramatic princess.

Thinking that, he laughed softly under his breath. How such a creature had gotten attached to him was beyond his imagination.

Skye, not realizing Kaden's thoughts, noticed the gentleness that had spread and took it as an opportunity to insist. He smiled brightly and demanded—

—even if he knew that Kaden despised him inside.

The youth held no malicious intent, despite believing in this fact. Because, it was only expected that his adopted older brother would hate him, not sharing the same blood and being abused by Reed daily.

But Skye, foolish and ridiculous as he was, aimlessly attempted to stir Kaden's emotions. To have him smile again, as bright as a pile of shimmering pearls, as he once did in the past.

Kaden sighed, nodding as he offered a wry smile. "Alright, where would you like to go? I haven't really gone around the Academy that much..."

Other than his classes, the library, the cafeteria and the dormitories, he really hadn't explored much. It would be a good opportunity to.

Happiness bloomed on Skye's princely features as he nodded ecstatically.

"Have you visited the Academy's greenhouse? They're growing all sorts of herbs and flowers—nurtured by students."

"I haven't... let's go there, then?"

Skye squinted up at him, hesitating. "You're really agreeing to go with me, right? There's no turning around when we get there, big brother!"

Kaden's entire body radiated conflicting emotions. He never knew how to treat this younger boy, his brother on paper. The only on in the royal family that considered him as one, most likely.

'But Skye, you never once tried to help me.'

An oblivious bystander could not be called completely innocent, either.