80 | finale; remedy in tragedy

"Human legs are entirely inconvenient, aching so easily." hissed Bolivia as she tucked her hands into a long overcoat, seaweed-like hair coiled into a thick braid that pulled back her hair, exposing striking features. "Remind me, why did you force me to transform?"

"Because a slithering tail, lovely as it may be, does not scream subtleness." deadpanned Kaden, tipping his head as the sound of water splattered at his feet. "There was the option of taking a carriage."

"I don't like those unreliable things."

"They were invented to save time—and they do a good job of it, too."

"Ha. Humans always like to invent things to satisfy their laziness."

Kaden sighed, wishing he'd found a different partner instead. The snake woman was so cynical and filled with hatred to everything that it was on comparison to that gloomy dragon he'd met in the Fairy Forest.

Perhaps he should've introduced them, and they'd have made an excellent depressed pairing with an equal amount of hatred to other species.

Humans, specifically.

"Are you certain that R will appear? I'm not confident in your sources."

"Hence why they're my sources. They need my confidence, not yours." retorted Kaden as he ducked around a corner, feeling the light patter of rain tap against his coat.

The streets, for the most part, were abandoned and cleared as families returned to the warm comforts of their home. The few wandering were those seeking pleasures or drinks for the night, weaving in and out of bars and taverns.

It'd been some time since Kaden frequented the Inky Tavern, though he kept in contact with the awkward youth who kept a listening ear for any gossip.

Unexpectedly, the youth had hit jackpot, reporting to Kaden immediately. Whether it proved false or not, such a chance couldn't be overlooked. Richard Halls, in the flesh! Likely, he chose a different meeting location every time—that was how he was never caught.

It was hard to find somebody that loved to run around, not to mention, Richard's façade of a gentleman was hard for people to find faults in.

He donated to charities, frequented orphanages to attend to the children who all adored him. He was the picture of kindness, a man who reached riches but did not allow the arrogance of wealth to taint his gentle nature.

What a joke. But it was in human nature that those you'd least suspect could be somebody terrible. Because, after all, it was all too easy to misjudge somebody.

Kaden sighed, and walked up to the door, rapping it heavily.

With his pink hair slicked back, it made the sharpness of his noble green gaze all the more apparent, highlighting his sharp cheekbones and unforgiving features. Having frequented the tavern several times, there was no need to worry about not being recognized.

"Don't tell me you're about to ask for a password?" His lips quirked. "I'm not quite interested in playing a guessing game right now."

The guard, a sturdy and broad man, bowed his head hurriedly in recognition. "Of course not, sir. There is nobody who wouldn't recognize your prestige."

"Prestige? I find my violence to be a focal point in the latest rumours. Do you disagree?"

"N-no—"

"Ah, are you calling me violent, now?"

"Certainly not, sir!"

Kaden hummed and passed the guard, dark amusement filling his cold gaze. Bolivia smiled, but hers was a wicked and sinister look that didn't make her appear warm, but instead frightening.