23 | butterfly; a cat and a stranger

Note: Hello, hello! Sorry!!!! I will make further edits later for any basic corrections, I'm running off to work now, thank you so much for your understanding!!!! THANK YOU!

HAVE AN AMAZING DAYYY

———xxx———

The previous year's exploration was one that Kaden hadn't attended. Thinking back, he truly lived a dull and pointless existence.

The first exploration into the Eastern Forests was more of a trial, to familiarize students with the stranger creatures of the world, ones that a common person may rarely encounter within the confides of their home.

It also gave students the opportunity to use their Blessings.

That was the other thing about the Academy. In addition to teaching special knowledge that regular schools wouldn't, they dived more into depth about Blessings.

The students who graduated would become exclusive forces to their kingdom.

Therefore, the rankings of each persons Blessings would be determined during a graded, physical test. A competition, though the results didn't determine one's grades, but instead their cooperation.

Following a common system, there were 5-star levels, 1 being the lowest and 5 being the highest. Some could work their entire lives and only be capable of 1 star.

Reed had been blessed with the Watcher of Obedience, allowing him to effectively use the curse on Kaden, and also warp others to follow him without them knowing.

He, however, had only a 3-star Blessing at the moment, though that alone was above average for most people. Having any Blessing at all was quite the feat.

Kaden ruminated on the events that would follow the exploration.

In his last life, he recalled an accident occurring. A rare monster, a two-headed onyx serpent with deadly venom coating its teeth, had gone mad, taken down and killed. A few students had been injured, one ending up crippled for life.

Kaden had no intention of risking his life to save them—he couldn't, when he didn't even know their name.

However, it was best to be careful.

He'd warned Niklas and Noah already. Noah... Kaden still felt shame thinking of the past nights, sleeping on that dragon's bed. It had become a habit now, a few times a week when Kaden would stare blankly at the darkness, and Noah would call him over.

It wasn't as if the man was a miracle pill, healing all of Kaden's insomnia—but the presence of Noah allowed Kaden to sleep for a few hours longer, and be more at ease.

Not that he particularly wanted to admit it aloud.

He pulled over a new pair of gloves to cover his unsightly scars, wearing the school's training uniform. A lightweight black and grey uniform, that was infused with a special blessing to serve as a shield.

It wasn't invulnerable, but highly convenient. Also, it was free, and Kaden believed all free things were good.

Professor Alexander looked over the crowd of students, pleased at the number attending. "Listen here, students." His voice was amplified, carrying across the entire space. "You will be free to explore at your will, individually or within groups as you chose."

"There are many teachers and volunteers stationed throughout the forest, so if you believe you can get away with any illegal or harmful activities, do be warned. We are always around, and we are always watching."

"Prioritize your safety first. You have all been given a safety flare, and although there should be a nearby supervisor assigned to watch you, in the case of an emergency, fire it. Do not provoke any dwellers of the forest."