48 | feline; between living and surviving

The cat—technically a Ghost Feline, a monster said to have only a single confirmed sighting and information that was entirely unknown—draped its paws over Kaden's head, toying with the stray strands that hung over his face.

The cat was finally registered under his name as a tamed beast, decidedly not to harm him or pose any risk despite its mysteries.

As soon as Kaden knocked on Professor Alexander's door, the cat had sprung from the desk it lounged, purposely kicking a few sheets of paper to protest its week of custody, and launched itself into Kaden's arms.

He caught the cat, stumbling back in surprise, and couldn't help but laugh at its antics. A prideful, spoiled and noble cat, it was.

Alexander's hair was disheveled, and he adjusted the glasses perched on his nose, dark bags under his eyes. "Take the beast and leave me. I've had enough of looking at that arrogant feline for the rest of my life."

The properly dressed Professor, never a hair out of place and his tie set in a perfect line down his chest, appeared incredibly distressed.

He walked over to gather the papers on the ground, his white sleeves rolled up, his tie frayed and loose from what Kaden suspected to be another part of the cat's sharp claws.

"I would apologize for the mess, however, it was you who brought that creature in. And while I enjoy the studies and behaviour of most beasts, you seem to have found the sole exception."

Kaden smiled wryly as the cat twisted in his arms, stretching lazily out to slink around his neck. "I apologize, Professor. Thank you for taking good care of it."

Alexander waved, leaning forward on his desk to reorganize the papers that had been scattered. "If you notice any particular observations, please inform me. Any information about rare species are welcomed."

"I'll do that."

Kaden nodded, walking away to leave Alexander to the mess left in his office as the cat found its way to his head. He toyed with its hanging paws as it stretched and retracted its claws.

"I'll need a name for you, won't I?" Kaden frowned in thought as he roamed the halls. "Brown? Chestnut? Hazel?"

The cat smacked him, and he winced. "Isn't that the colour of your fur? Would you prefer something elegant, like Prince? Your Majesty?"

Actually, he wasn't certain of the gender of the cat, but according to Alexander's comments prior to Kaden's coming, the feline was an androgynous species, appearing neither male or female. Alexander had wondered if the creature was a hermaphrodite, or had other biology, but he'd decided against investigating when the feline meowed noisily in complaint.

The cat purred, sending vibrations through Kaden's skull to show its satisfaction. Kaden chuckled softly as its tail brushed his neck.

"Your Majesty?"

Another deep purr of delight, and Kaden felt the weight roll around his hair.

"I see you've taken a new friend in arms." A curious voice spoke, forged of honey and sugar, but carved of iron and steel. The sort of voice that made one compelled to listen—there seemed to be many of those in the Academy.

Of course, Noah's simmering voice that matched the moonlight's observing quiet, both rich and comforting, was Kaden's preference.

This voice belonged to a particular, irritable person.

Lux twirled the cat's tail around his finger, and it hissed viciously. He wasn't bothered, laughing as the tail swatted him away.

He sauntered around Kaden, cutting him off in his path. The latter raised his cold stare, sarcasm dripping in his expression.